Topic: Framebuffer console in FreeBSD - is it real?

I have NVIDIA GeForce 5600 FX (oh... I think right) and I want to use framebuffer console... Does anybody knows how I have to do that?

I've tried to use allscreens_flags, but I can't understand what must be value of this variable...

`vidcontrol -i mode` can't help me - some modes it's displaying doesn't work (why???), and some causes crashes of my display... Only several standard (i. e. 80x25) modes are working good.

WBR,
        Black Raven

Re: Framebuffer console in FreeBSD - is it real?

Im also interested to see the result of this.

Last edited by DrMaJ (2006-06-30 04:14:03)

[ quote=lucas ]who wants to use sco unix?

if i were faced with either sco unix or linux, i'd shoot myself in the face[ /quote ]

vidcontrol(1) wrote:

Video modes other than 25 and 30 line modes may require specific size of font.  Use -f option above to load a font file to the kernel.  If the required size of font has not been loaded to the kernel, vidcontrol will fail if the user attempts to set a new video mode. (...)

(...) If you want to use any of the raster text modes you need to recompile your kernel with the SC_PIXEL_MODE option.  See syscons(4) for more details on this kernel option.

I guess you already read this (since you're having problems with vidcontrol), but have you done what it suggests? If so, what modes are you having problems with?

`vidcontrol -i mode` shows required fonts. I tryed to use modes with 8x16 font ('cause other too ugly, IMHO). This font is loaded (my current mode is using it).

Also, I tried to use graphic modes (1024x768, VESA_800x600).

I have error like that:

vidcontrol: cannot activate raster display: Inappropriate ioctl for device

WBR,
        Black Raven

That probably means you need to recompile your kernel with the SC_PIXEL_MODE option. Since I don't know if you compile kernels in your sleep or not, I might as well post a link to the Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel section in the handbook.

Good luck.

ibs, thank you very much!

That option made miracle smile

WBR,
        Black Raven

My pleasure. smile

i wish i could make miracles...

Last edited by lucas (2006-07-04 02:28:31)