Topic: gpg and insecure memory

Ok, this just started happening on a CURRENT box--at least I just noticed it today, but I think I would have seen it.

Using muttng, when I sign an email and send it, I get that insecure memory message.  However, gpg is (and has been) set at 4755, which according to the gnu faq is correct.

I added vmware on the machine the other day, but I can't see what the connection might be.  On another machine, also with vmware, running 6.1-STABLE, I don't get the error message. 

Has anyone run across this, or can someone give me an idea of where to look next?  I am, as I suspect most of us are, aware of the standard reason, wrong permissions on the binary, but I reiterate, the permissions are correct

ls -l /sur/local/bin/gpg
ls: sur/local/bin/gpg: No such file or directory

(grumbles to self about motor skill problems)

ls -l /usr/local/bin/gpg
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  794140 Jun 27 04:21 /usr/local/bin/gpg
<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: gpg and insecure memory

Never mind, it seems to be connected to vmware--if vmware is actually running at the time, one gets the insecure memory message, if the vmware machine is closed you don't get that message.

On the other machine, I eventually realized that I hadn't used mutt while vmware was running on it.

Actually I just add 'no-secmem-warning' to .gnupg/gpg.conf and it fixes it every time.

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Yes, I saw that on their FAQ.  I was going to do that if it kept popping up.

However, I prefer to have it, since (this time aside) it reminds me that I forgot to do the chmod on gpg.  smile

Cool. You know for just about everything, there's a right way and "that other way". I all too often lean towards the latter. smile

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Heh, actually, when  you tell me you do something another way, I always worry that I'm not doing it right. 

However, since, in this case, it's simply a guard against my own carelessness, I didn't get too nervous. 

You know the saying, KP, in Unix there's always more than one way to do it and someone will think your way is wrong.   smile