Topic: Many new users?

Hi all.

I've seen many new users on this site lately most of which I bet are spammers...just look at the name of the newest user, wonder what he or she has in mind tongue...could the admin/s please look into this and let us know what is up with this?

Re: Many new users?

Hmm....

Some are obvious - but how do we decide who is legit and who isn't?

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Two things:

1) We sit and wait for the user to post something. If spam -> Delete Account
2) We sit and wait longer and if nothing is posted -> Delete Account

1 is obvious. 2 is as well because if a user do not post anything in 2 months I bet he/she doesnt remember his/her login information. Hence he/she can resubscribe instead of using the "I lost my password" feature.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Hmm.... I wonder if there's an auto-delete function.  It'd be great for this very purpose

OR

Perhaps the DB for these forums records the date of last login - then a simple SQL query will show up the users that can be deleted.

-- Copyright BSDnexus

And indeed it does:

top of page wrote:

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Some CAPTCHA-plugin or similar is needed, but maybe we should take the Vanilla-migration up for discussion. (andre wants to move from PunBB to Vanilla), and if we decide to migrate, hope that vanilla has a better registration process. I don't want to put work into PunBB if we're not sticking with it for a while longer.

who's making the migration script ?

we can't imagine loosing the content of this forum...

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

dynek wrote:

who's making the migration script ?

we can't imagine loosing the content of this forum...

Agreed! This forums is A LOT of hard work by many people. I would hate to lose all that simply 'cos the consensus is to move to alternate software!

-- Copyright BSDnexus

who cares about deleting all these users? it doesn't remove the threat of a spammer/bot reregistering and exploiting the forum.

as long as punbb is secure, there's no reason to act on these users. if it's not, deleting them isn't gonna help anyway.

i can help and/or make the migration script. seems like it'd be very easy. make sure that they use the same hash (hopefully an sha variant), though. although i do like punbb a lot. i don't want you guys to leave it.

If we switch software, all the data must be migrated, users and posts. The old URLs will also have to be mapped to the new.

well, yeah, that's easy. converting a slew of MD5 hashes to SHA1 takes a lot more time, though. wink

I thought SHA1 was broken.

Reversing password "encryption" (e.g. to obtain a password to try against a user's account elsewhere) is not made possible by the attacks.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha1#Crypt … s_of_SHA-1

jage and mods, admins, could we maybe set up a rule that when a person signs up and hasn't posted in say over a year and the post status is still set to "0" we can agree that this person never really intended to communicate with us BSD folks and help in the first place and send out reminders that if these people don't log in and post until a "date" set by the admin, their forum accounts will be deleted.

Why keep all the 0 accounts in the member lists...sure you don't have to check the member lists and you won't see them still think that it's silly to keep them on the server. This was done on another forum I used to post on and it worked very well. We also set up email validation on that forum so spammers have no chance and they need to make one post before their account will be active and free to use. Now we've talked about this before I was just wondering if there is something we can do about the number of users that just sit in the member list.

Thoughts?

I like BSDDomi's idea

-- Copyright BSDnexus

I like her idea, too.  I always wished they would do this with all services, like if someone doesn't sign onto AIM for a few years or something, their account should get deleted and the name should be available.

this forum doesn't have email validation?

while we're at it, let get rid of this "At least 60 seconds have to pass between posts. Please wait a little while and try posting again."

i can read and write fast, apparently. i'm a big boy now!

**All we have to do is is have the image verification turned on where the person registering has to type in the numbers/letters when signing up**

Why havent we done this?

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

I agree with lucas, this 60 seconds between posts crap is really annoying.  I have to leave tabs open and resubmit my posts every minute, it's kind of annoying.

oh and yes about the 60 second thing, it sucks

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

Haha yes very.

Should we consider the previous' message signature as spam ? :-)

seems like it - though the reply seems quite inline with the topic. I worry spammers are getting better and better sad

-- Copyright BSDnexus

There, spam links deleted, problem solved for now smile

Hello,
you deleted my account, too. And I had just updated my profile...
All that writing... and now it's gone! Agrrrrrrhhhh...