Topic: MidnightBSD

http://www.midnightbsd.org/

Makes me wonder how long this one's going to be around...will it reach the same popularity as Free, Open, Net and DragonFly BSD....or will it die a slow death seeing how it needs members to keep up with the hardware requirements...

Someone please download and test this version of BSD, I'd like to see how well it performs...

Last edited by BSDDomi (2006-08-14 13:04:10)

Re: MidnightBSD

Well, they're claiming to be an official port of FreeBSD 6.1 and they seem to want to be a GUI based desktop with GUI based administration

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Yes it's FreeBSD with a little bit of OpenBSD and other BSDs thrown it, sounds ok, let's see how it performs in the real world...

Is anyone going to try it?

Sigh, I'm getting too old for this distro slut stuff.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

scottro wrote:

Is anyone going to try it?

Sigh, I'm getting too old for this distro slut stuff.

I guess I'll have to pass on this one. Even if I felt like doing the distro slut thing, I've recently been forced to sell my soul to the penguin to keep up with my job and I don't even have a spare hard drive to use for this.

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Oh no.  Which penguin?

Actually, this weekend, out of boredom, I played with Ubuntu.  A disappointment, and frankly, I could see the newcomer throwing up his hands and going back to windows.  However, that's another thread, and I'd be preaching to the choir.

(For non-US people, that comes from a clergyman preaching to his choir--in other words, talking to people who already agree with him.)

I gave a quick try at downloading.  At 7kbs or something like that, it was going to take 36 hours so I gave up.

a 7 K/s download is a sure way to kill what little motivation you have to download something smile.

I was debating emailing the fellow, but it wasn't as if I was so excited about it.  Maybe it was just off, I might give it another shot later.

I just did. It's up to a blazing 24.7 KB/s, 4 hours or so download.  Someone's gotta get this guy a mirror.  However, it's a vicious cycle I suppose, because if no one is going to bother to download it.....

smile

Last edited by scottro (2006-08-15 01:57:22)

scottro wrote:

Oh no.  Which penguin?

Xubuntu. It's penguin and rat collusion!

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Xubuntu isn't bad at all...I ran it, now back to Ubuntu on my laptop, it could get worse, believe me, KernelPanicked. I'm not much of a Linux fan either but it could be worse, they could make you run Windows on all your computers tongue..

Yeah, I suppose it's a home server with a dl rate like that.. I could mirror for him...then again my home server only gets a dl rate of 40kb/s max so I'm not of big help either...

To take the thread COMPLETELY off topic...

I put on Ubuntu over the weekend as mentioned above.  Firstly, though the installation's resolution was fine, after boot, it was only 800x600.  I went to their GUI tools, and that was the only option.  So, I typed xorgconfig to get that it wasn't found.  A few minutes of googling showed me that they have their own thing, dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server or something similar.

In fairness, I'm sure that's documented and easy to find on their site, but I could see a Windows user running into that and calling their Linux using friend.  "No prob, run xorgconfig."  "But I'm getting, 'command not found.'"

Then, printing.  I tried their add printer thing and Cups asks me for the location of the ppd file.  That is, I choose the printer, and then it wants the file.  I eventually found where they store it, but didn't bother testing it.  For me, installing printers is one of the acid tests of the "desktop oriented" Linux systems.  Either do it or don't pretend you do, and say, "You have to use CUPS.  Good Luck. mwhahahahahahah"

Well, I managed to download the midnightbsd iso.  It was rather odd--after two attempts, the md5 still didn't work, but I burned it anyway, figuring that perhaps there were some typos.  (That is, after two attempts at downloading, my md5 sum didn't equal the one that their list showed as the correct one.)

At any rate, so far, it seems to be a plain 6.1 BSD, more or less.  I just did a quick install, poked around a little bit, and I don't see anything different.  pkg_add -r points to ftp.freebsd.org, etc.

Hey guys. This is a great BSD variant so far. We are in very early stages and working very hard! Please download and try and provide feedback. We also have a channel on freenode, so please feel free to join, #MidnightBSD. We look forward to seeing some of you around!

Ok, so here's my honest opinion of this project. Note I have not downloaded and installed this yet, but I wouldn't expect it to be a great divergence from stock FreeBSD at this point. Going through the list of goals, I find it fairly well thought out and possibly a worthwhile effort, if they stick to the goals laid out. Part of the reason I hate PC-BSD and DesktopBSD is that they don't even try to hide the fact that they are total leaches and really don't add anything far and away better than the BSD they are leaching from. I really don't get that feeling so far from these guys. Since it is specifically mentioned that KDE and GNOME will not be a part of this fork, I've decided to grab some spare parts from the closet and put together a test box to install this thing.

Note to Midnight BSD devs: If the default desktop is still up in the air, take a look here. smile

Heh, I was sure it was going to be evilwm.  Glad I didn't put money on it.

Archite (does that mean you use ArchLinux?) what is different?  As I said, on my first look (I only dowloaded the first CD, as the speeds were relatively slow--it took a few days to get it up past dial up speed and even then, it was only about 100k) I don't see anything different yet.  I noted that pkg_add pointed to FreeBSD, I don't think I even checked the supfiles, so don't know if they point to FreeBSD.org or elsewhere. 

This is not really a criticism, I'm just wondering what's different, as the differences weren't immediately obvious. 

As for going for the DF installer--last time I looked it can't create partitions, you need to have partitions already in place, and though I know programmers dislike sysinstall (for reasons that are beyond a non-programmer like myself) I can't see an installer that can't create partitions being an improvement over one that can. 

(Andre, if you see this and the DF installer can now create partitions, feel free to jump in.  I haven't played with DF in awhile.)

Well, I'm actually an OpenBSD guy myself. At this point, the distribution is still very much FreeBSD. We are going through code, changeing what suits our needs. We are still looking at different WM's. Thanks for the xfce link, but we're trying to stay away from mainstream desktops and try something a little different or even custome. Right now we have lots of people pledging support for writing documentation and testing but we are in need of some developers and people who are willing to work at making this a great project that I know it can be. Right now, we're working on adding some things from OpenBSD into the source. I am also working on an effective method for creating binary security patches since it is somewhat of a pain to have to compile the complete tree each time there is a security update.

So to answer all question for once, yes, it is still very much like FreeBSD and no, we do not have a WM picked out. Guys, come join the #MidnighBSD channel,  bring some ideas to the table. If you program, hop on board! I know that Luke and I would love the help.

If you have any question, please either jump on the IRC channel, or email me, adam@midnightbsd.org. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

binary security updates would be great.  I've always hated that OpenBSD-current gets binary snapshots and the stable branch doesn't.

Well, I like the way that OpenBSD does security updats, actually. You only have to build the source for the particular app affected. It's more of the FreeBSD style that we're trying to get away from; where you have to build the entire source tree in order to be up to date and secure.

If you use the GENERIC kernel, then FreeBSD already has a binary security update program.  (Not to take away from your plans--what I would like would be a way to upgrade the system using binaries instead of the time and resource consuming buildworld.)

/usr/ports/security/freebsd-update

http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/

Also, in many cases, security patches only involve rebuilding one particular small program rather than having to rebuild world.

I will be watching the midnightbsd development with interest. 

A custom window manager might be nice.

One suggestion, and of course, you can take it for what it's worth.  Your avatar might turn some people off, with them thinking, Oh, it's just a bunch of silly kids.

scottro wrote:

One suggestion, and of course, you can take it for what it's worth.  Your avatar might turn some people off, with them thinking, Oh, it's just a bunch of silly kids.

I have to second scottro on this one. That is what I thought....

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Heh, the first day it was mentioned on distrowatch, the speeds were, as I said, around dialup speed.  I guess being distrowatch-ed is going to be like being slashdotted. 

It's good to have people from the project on these forums though--hopefully, they'll be able to keep us informed of its progress. 

(And no, I'm not a programmer so can't really offer any assistance.  I would offer to be a mirror, but my connection is often quite iffy, plus I have to be a bit careful with my ISP's TOS.  They don't specifically prohibit but do state that you shouldn't be hogging bandwidth--it's rather nebulous and I'd rather not take the chance.)

Why would a fork of FreeBSD use a FreeBSD GENERIC kernel?

the point was that FreeBSD has a way of doing binary security updates, not that MidnightBSD should use, or be able to use, the same method.

I thank you for the information though, either way. Although that is great, and I have never used it myself, it is still not what we are looking for. I believe that our binary updates are going to come directly from our site and GPG signed so that we can increase security on the system. Thank you for all suggestions and criticisms. I look forward to hearing more from all of you, either on here, via IRC, or email wink