Re: Announcing Open Beta Win4BSD

calande wrote:

I wish we had tons of proprietary applications that outperformed the thousands of poor open-source applications available for free on BSD.

I agree with this entirely.  I would settle for a dozen good proprietary programs instead of thousands.  As far as I can tell, there really are only two proprietary programs for BSD (other than the topic of this thread): the nVidia driver and the word processor TextMaker.  Softmaker, who produces TextMaker, also promises to include FreeBSD in its update of its spreadsheet PlanMaker (which is pretty good).  That's all I know of.

DrJ

Last edited by DrJ (2006-09-23 17:55:57)

To tell you the truth, among the tens of thousands of applications for FreeBSD, I use maybe 10-20 of them, no more. Give me the Flash player, Flash 8, a good photo editing tool (I mean a good one, really), a WYSIWYG XHTML/CSS editor for FreeBSD, and I'm happy.

Thought I'd post a brief update here.  I'm trying the latest version (14 day evaluation) and the speed is quite good.  It's an interesting setup in a way, My Documents winds up in the user's $HOME directory. 

I'm having problems installing an application that I need, which I suspect is one of those glitches that happen with new things. I've posted on their forums.

All in all, especially since I've only been able to get vmware working up to version 3, and one has to have a serial number for it, and there are no plans, AFAIK, for vmware to support FreeBSD, I think it's a good thing.  I believe the eventual price tag will be $70.00 which is quite reasonable if it does what I want.  (It's $50 till the end of October.)

I've tried qemu with kqemu and was pretty disappointed in the results.  This gives much smoother input, on the level of vmware.  Others have reported choppy mouse speed, but I didn't find that.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Thanks for the follow-up.  Please see my (extended) question and the company answer of the win4bsd forums.

Do you have any benchmarks comparing win4bsd with vmware 3.2?  They need not be formal; some performance indication would be useful.  Have you tried it with SMP on the BSD host? Any issues?  I have read that cutting and pasting from guest to host (or vice versa) does not work, and the mouse lags quite a bit.  Is this so?  Any other impressions?

DrJ

I have also experienced choppy mouse here.

I had a very slight choppy mouse problem that seemed to go away after awhile.  My big problem is that its networking doesn't seem to work with the Nortel VPN client which is the main reason I need MS emulation in the first. place.  smile

Although vmware will connect to our company's VPN without problem, the win4BSD with either not connect at all, or if it does, not succeed in completely logging in.

My own feeling was really that it is quite comparable to vmware in terms of speed, almost native speed.
Even the mouse (most of the time.)

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid