Topic: IRC server DNS

Taucher.net is down again sad

Andre and I headed over to irc.eggdrop.ph #bsd and got to chatting about IRC servers.

In this discussion, andre thought of having a DNS server entry like irc.bsdnexus.com that would actually point to the IP address of a currently working IRC server that we can log into a room of #bsd.

So, irc.bsdnexus.com could initially point to chat.taucher.net's IP - if chat.taucher.net were to go down, it could be pointed to another server (like eggdrop) and users could use the DNS transparently so we all end up on the same server regardless of issues that may be happening.

What are your thoughts people?

Maxlor I'm especially aware that chat.taucher.net is your baby and do not wish to step on your toes in any way with this suggestion.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Re: IRC server DNS

Good idea IMHO as far as chat.taucher.net goes it will still be the primary location so ....

"My spelling is Wobbly.  It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters  get in the wrong places." A. A. Milne (1882-1958)

Yeah, fun with C names.... well at least that's how Id do it.  Dont forget to bump the serial no!

Oh on an unrelated note, Im unable to connect to that eggdrop thing. hmm

Last edited by neozeed (2006-11-27 16:05:40)

I don't like having the DNS pointer, because it's a hack and not a fix. We (that's the guy paying for the server and me) are currently discussing solutions. It's likely that we'll set up another IRC server with another hoster, then link the two, in order to get some redundancy.

the dns idea is a very poor solution.

problems include:
- not automatic (someone has to change the record)
- dns propagation is not instant (record ttl)
- a dns record isn't an on/off switch
- far from transparent

you seriously have to have a couple servers and link them, it's the only way to go. if maxlor isn't picky about where other nodes are located, a friend might like to offer up a server.

Just a quick update. We signed up with another hoster yesterday, so we'll have two IRC servers from now on (well, if the current hoster ever manages to bring the machine back up) that'll be linked. This should give the whole thing much better reliability, the downside of course is that we'll probably start seeing netsplits.

When will it be available ?

thanks for the work !

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

cool, I'll swing by tonight sometime.

I hope I'll have it set up and running sometime tomorrow afternoon. Still haven't received the login details for the second server, but then we ordered it around midnight last night, and they say they need 24h to set up your account (and the guy who actually paid for the server needs to forward me the email with the login info...)

who is the "guy"? It's awfully kind of him. Can you pass on a "thank you" please.

-- Copyright BSDnexus

The editor-in-chief of taucher.net, Armin S

The IRC server is running again. Since DNS will take a while to settle, use this IP here for now: 85.88.15.141 .

There'll probably be some short interruptions in the next couple of days as I change the server configuration to make the linking work and fix things I forgot right now.

On the bright side, I've used this opportunity to hopefully fix that bug which caused the server to crash occasionally when someone quit and rejoined.

yay, I'll be there in a second smile.

What happened to the server I can't seem to connect to it...

It's working.

You can't reach it? What's the error?

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Maxlor wrote:

The editor-in-chief of taucher.net, Armin S

Hm good question. It seems to be an online magazine, an online diving community, a guide to diving locations, gear... basically a very comprehensive site about everything related to diving. Probably one of the biggest in the net smile

Interesting.. smile guess so.. looking at the members in the pics decked out in their diving gear...

diving in europe must be real different.. as compared to south east asia..

Posts [ 18 ]

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply