Topic: Leopard / 10.5

Has anyone had a chance to try it out yet???

Re: Leopard / 10.5

Doesn't look like much of an 'upgrade' from what the apple site lists as new features.

My mother installed the beta and then it wouldn't start up.

$ gcc -Wall Kuno.c -o Kuno
Kuno.c: In function 'main':
Kuno.c:5: warning: unused variable 'Life'

thats cool, my mother cant turn the computer on...

[ quote=lucas ]who wants to use sco unix?

if i were faced with either sco unix or linux, i'd shoot myself in the face[ /quote ]

I did not used it yet since my box is not capable to run it, but that presentation impressed me:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour

"religions, worst damnation of mankind"
[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

If this is the release where Apple has finally waked up and realized not everyone owns an expensive Apple computer and that some (ie. 95%) people in fact don't?

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Carpetsmoker wrote:

If this is the release where Apple has finally waked up and realized not everyone owns an expensive Apple computer and that some (ie. 95%) people in fact don't?

Officially and by License Leopard can be legally run only on Apple hardware (which means standard i386/amd64 hardware + EFI chip), bu who cares, http://wiki.osx86project.org wink

[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

one of my housemates got a new MacBook with Leopard a couple of days ago. it seems a few apps that I use still aren't compatible with it so I think I'll be waiting a month or two before I consider upgrading. Tiger is working great for me right now!

It'll be nice to finally have workspaces on os x. The only thing is, it wont run on my 800mhz ibook sad
So much for OS X getting "faster and faster"

$ gcc -Wall Kuno.c -o Kuno
Kuno.c: In function 'main':
Kuno.c:5: warning: unused variable 'Life'

kuno wrote:

So much for OS X getting "faster and faster"

With the switch to Intel processors, those of us still with PowerPC hardware are all running on borrowed time.  Thankfully, the major *BSD's all have PPC ports.

Just to play devil's advocate, isn't that requirement for new hardware one of the reasons everyone thinks MS made such a big mistake with Vista?

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

scottro wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate, isn't that requirement for new hardware one of the reasons everyone thinks MS made such a big mistake with Vista?

I'm betting that MS made a deal with nVidia and ATI to help promote new graphics cards. I cannot believe Aero needs that much processing power. Everyone already had good enough graphics cards - how elese would they force people to upgrade? There was something bigger going on behind the scenes...

I'm now betting Apple wants people on i386 'cos they want to dump the old PPC stuff.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

WIntellect wrote:

I'm now betting Apple wants people on i386 'cos they want to dump the old PPC stuff.

Of course.  What made Apple look less competitive to anyone other than the Apple faithful was the fact that the PPC processor speeds offered were noticably below that of the Wintel world.  Although there will be some that may argue that a 1GHz Apple PPC machine is as good or better than a 2GHz Wintel box, the fact is the public doesn't understand & syllogistically 2GHz is faster than 1GHz, so Wintel systems must be faster than most if not all of Apple's older PPC offerings.

Coupled with the run-around that Motorola & IBM gave Apple about the volume of chips which could (or could not...) be produced, & the promises Intel probably made, Jobs & Company dumped the PPC faster than yesterday's bread.

If the story Apple tells us about Universal Binaries & the fact that they have been dual compiling OS X for both PPC & Intel for years has any truth, there still has to be time invested into ensuring that software still works on both platforms.  I'm sure that Apple's management will be relieved when PPC can be dumped once & for all.

>What made Apple look less competitive to anyone other than the Apple faithful was the fact that the PPC processor speeds offered were noticably below that of the Wintel world.

Later but not in the beginning and the real problem is imho Mac OS X, there are too much 'layers' under the hood to hide the BSD base etc.

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

Yup.  Actually, I think one of our machines at work might have gotten a virus.  Sigh.
Suddenly, all fonts appear as an A inside a box, if one does, by memory, open up, say, Applications, it closes suddenly--the only way I'm able to do anything is by booting into the terminal in single user mode. 

I prefer Apples to PCs in many ways--we have fewer problems with them, but I think that simply because they're not MS, people think of them as the good guys.  They're just as evil, I think, only weaker than MS.  Jobs was supposedly even more of a doody-head than Gates back in the days, firing people for no reason, etc. etc. 

One can say, well, they wanted to make sure they had a quality product, that's why they kept the hardware locked in--or one can say they weren't quite as smart as MS, and managed to lose when the products were somewhat comparable. 

When a PC, even a laptop, breaks down, it's relatively easy to find parts--if an Apple has a hardware problem, well, you're only entitled to 90 days support after purchase, unless you spend around $250 for Apple Care.  Then, getting your Apple Care enabled is a song and a dance and lots of hold time.  Despite the fact that they are considered to have award winning support, although they were always very nice, they were never able to solve various software problems I paid $250 to have them solve. 

Anyway, don't mind me, I'm having trouble thinking good thoughts today.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

the warranty on my MacBook was for a year. the warranty on the replacement optical drive they put in was 90 days.

I hear you, though. as a company I don't hold them above all PC companies or anything. I just think their hardware is relatively reliable and their prices, at least for the MacBook (which is all I'll probably ever buy from them), are unbeatable. after student discount a MacBook is only 1,000 USD and the specs are pretty damn good. find me a PC laptop with comparable specs from a company with similar reliability and I will be very impressed!

but yeah, I agree with you, scottro. I just kind of like Apple in some way because I like my MacBook smile.

With technicalities aside, the gen population probably think like this:

General population wrote:

Apple holds the artistic flair that the PC world has never caught onto - saying that, it's not worth paying more money for.

This is also one of the reasons I have never bought a MAC - yes, they are good and I used them a lot in a previous job I had, but at the end of the day, if it's my money, why would I pay more?

-- Copyright BSDnexus

I don't see any point today using a Mac. They use the same hardware, they have got the same problems and their operating system lacks many things, apart from eyecandy. So back in the 90s there was my Quadra, full of nice hardware, light-years ahead of any PC and there was System 7, a small, but powerful operating system without any nonsense. And later there was my first PowerPC 601 with System 9, again lightyears ahead. Jobs return was maybe good for sheer numbers, but it was bad for one thing: the computer per se! It's a pity WOZ left Apple ...

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

the reason I use a Mac is because it's a reliable laptop with good specs for a good price.

me wrote:

find me a PC laptop with comparable specs [to the MacBook] from a company with similar reliability [to Apple] and I will be very impressed!

the operating system is nice because a lot of Unix and Linux programs run on it and I have easy access to command line things I used to take for granted like ssh. it's a nice spot between Windows and BSD and it makes a great desktop system. I rarely miss Windows but for games.

>I rarely miss Windows but for games.

Windows? Games? big_smile

F!XMBR

sure! can't play Half-Life 2 (the last PC game I've really cared about) on anything else! unless it runs on Linux somehow...but that's probably too much of a pain.

asemisldkfj wrote:

sure! can't play Half-Life 2 (the last PC game I've really cared about) on anything else! unless it runs on Linux somehow...but that's probably too much of a pain.

I have followed (and bought) the whole HalfLife series ever since it began and love it.

HL2 E2 was cool (finished it) and am now waiting for E3!

HL is possibly the only reason I keep Windows.

-- Copyright BSDnexus

asemisldkfj wrote:

On Linux:
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiw … TO%20Steam
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … p;iId=2095

On Mac OS X (under Pararells):
http://vermaden.go.pl/.praca/images/par … games0.jpg

WIntellect wrote:

I have followed (and bought) the whole HalfLife series ever since it began and love it.

HL2 E2 was cool (finished it) and am now waiting for E3!

HL is possibly the only reason I keep Windows.

I would go for Portal also (included in Orange Box):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 8211699660
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 7535157680

also a flash version of Portal wink
http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/Portal.swf

I've only actually bought H-L 2, but I think I've played and beaten everything up to and including it. some of the older ones like Opposing Force are really fun! I haven't played any of the H-L 2 episodes though. I was thinking about buying the first one when it came out but I heard it was pretty short. I'll end up getting them eventually smile.

have you played it under Parallels, vermaden? how does it run? what hardware?

Someone mentioned using Linux on a Mac.  You can dual boot Mac OS with Linux, FreeBSD, or Windows.  Leopard comes with boot camp and it has to be an intel mac in order to play your game.  I've read that recent versions of ubuntu can work with macs, although I've only run it in parallels. 

As for parallels, I doubt that a recent game like HL2 would work with it very well.  I've had trouble getting an old directx game to run in windows 98 with adequate performance.