Topic: A bit disappointed

Hey guys,

I found a book called SQL Hacks. It's from Oreilly ( http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sqlhks/ ).
I like them a lot. I always find the content of their books very good, complete and useful.

Still.. Nobody can be perfect. Oreilly isn't !

One can download a sample of the book. Chapter 4 in this case. Date Handling.

What is wrong with this chapter (hence with the book).

1. They choosed as reference MySQL. Some people like it some don't. I would have chosen PostgreSQL as it's the closest open source replacement to Oracle.

2. At the very beginning of the chapter they talk about inserting dates in a database.
They say good things about TO_DATE used in Oracle. That allows one to specify the date format used.
Ex: INSERT INTO d VALUES (TO_DATE('1 Jun 2006', 'dd Mon yyyy'))
They say MySQL also has such a feature called STR_TO_DATE.
But they do not mention PostgreSQL also has a function called to_date that does the same as Oracle's function.
PostgreSQL 7.1 already had this function.
Today's version is 8.0 / 8.1.

Quote of the book:
"For most of the hacks in this chapter, we used MySQL as the base example and we've shown the variations for SQL Server, Access, Oracle and PostgreSQL."

Well they haven't.

/me is disappointed.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Re: A bit disappointed

Didn't Oracle buy PostgreSQL?

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

RoddieRod wrote:

Didn't Oracle buy PostgreSQL?

No - they bought sleepycat's Berkley DB; though as the BerkleyDB was BSD Licenced, it means they'll do what they want with the future of the code development, not the older stuff

Dynek - I feel your pain dude!  O'reilly aren't really the ones to blame - the author and his/her SQL technical expert who would have to be responsible. Perhaps you can email the author - have the correction made in future revisions of the book or perhaps even a website of errata!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Didn't they also buy the makers of the InnoDB engine for MySQL?

i used to love o'reilly books, but i'm less than satisfied with quite a few of their books i've bought in the last few years

phoenix wrote:

Didn't they also buy the makers of the InnoDB engine for MySQL?

really? Is *that* why MySQL is now doing the "Enterprise Version" vs "Bog standard version for non-special people"?

I hated it when RedHat did it and I hate that MySQL have gone down the same route

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Yes, Oracle bought Innobase, the makers of the InnoDB transactional storage engine used in MySQL.  Oracle has "pledge to keep InnoDB freely available", but who knows how long that will remain true.  smile  Google for "oracle innodb" for lots of gloom and doom articles, lots of "nothing to see here" articles, and all that wonderful marketspeak from Oracle.

They've also bought SleepyCat, the makers of BerckleyDB, used in such projects as OpenLDAP.  But, they've also pledged to keep that freely available as well.  smile

Anyone see a pattern emerging?  big_smile  If this keeps up, Oracle may just own enough of the foundational software used by opensource project to kill off competitors to their DB products.  smile  (Or not, who knows?)

phoenix wrote:

Anyone see a pattern emerging?  big_smile  If this keeps up, Oracle may just own enough of the foundational software used by opensource project to kill off competitors to their DB products.  smile  (Or not, who knows?)

They may be trying it, but as I said, previous versions of the code have been either GPL'd or BSD Licenced - so at least those versions will remain free. Perhaps there'll be a project fork or something to keep it going.

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Well i hope that Postgresql not down in the evil claws of Oracle. Postgresql rules!!

I think it's great that you point this out!

Then again having four variations of the same code might be a pain.