Topic: Question

Is this forum really useful ?

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Re: Question

I forgot it existed...

$ gcc -Wall Kuno.c -o Kuno
Kuno.c: In function 'main':
Kuno.c:5: warning: unused variable 'Life'

MacOSX is _NOT_ (Free)BSD.
for some reason everyone thinks it is, but it's just as BSD as Solaris is

Last edited by Carpetsmoker (2007-02-27 01:01:18)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Solaris runs on BSD?  (SORRRRY, I couldn't resist).

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

No. Let's remove it.

dynek wrote:

Is this forum really useful ?

I suppose it's up to the administrators of the forum whether or not we want to include OS X discussions along with the BSDs.  this could also depend on how much demand for OS X discussions there is.  I know a couple of people who posted or do post on here that use OS X, but IMHO there are a ton of OS X resources on the web elsewhere, and the OS X forum here doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose.  however, maybe if someone has a question about OS X that somehow relates to BSD, like how to change a sysctl or a question about /etc/fstab, it would be an appropriate place to ask.  I don't know how much BSD knowledge can really be applied to OS X though, so that's just a thought.

edit: haha, I totally thought this was just a general "are these forums useful?" question and didn't realize dynek was referring to just the OS X forum!

Last edited by asemisldkfj (2007-02-26 23:54:38)

I think it could be useful.  I prefer BSD, but must use OS X server in my job.  Some BSD knowledge can be applied to OS X.  Configuration often can not.  While the XNU kernel is certainly not a BSD kernel, large portions of userland are from FreeBSD.

I'd like to keep it for similar reasons to laffer1.  We have some Macs, and I figure whenever there's a new post here, as these forums aren't that busy, BSDDomni or another Mac ace will see them.   It makes me more confident when I go over the graphic artists and try to look like I know what I'm doing.  smile

scottro wrote:

Solaris runs on BSD?  (SORRRRY, I couldn't resist).

Hydrogen actually, and after that helium

Scottro.. BSDDomi is gone.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Don't I see her pop up from time to time, both here and at freebsdforums?  :-(

Well, maybe she'll be back. 

At any rate, my original statement stands, that there are several knowledgeable Mac people here. 

Maybe we should vote?

Also, Mac users, let's start making use of this forum then.

I saw a post from BSDomi on freebsdforums last week I think or maybe the week before. She's always logged on to jabber, but I have spoken to her in a long while.

I just assume she's really busy.

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

I personally think the board should be dedicated to only open source BSD's

Change it to "Darwin" then tongue

How ironic. The longest thread in the Mac area is about whether or not it should even exist.

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Maybe we should vote?

I'm not again its existence. I was just asking. If some people wants it then it's worth keeping it !

Well, maybe she'll be back.

Not here it seems. That's a shame she left and I never understood why (well maybe a bit of it). Let's keep this subject close smile

How ironic. The longest thread in the Mac area is about whether or not it should even exist.

True big_smile

Carpetsmoker wrote:

you really have smoked a lot of carpets

What do you mean?

OSX only uses a few userland tools from FreeBSD 5, the kernel s different, allot of userland tools have been added, ect.

It has some code from FreeBSD, but that doesn't make OSX the same as FreeBSD...

SunOs is perhaps what you mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunOS

Last edited by lobster (2007-02-28 19:26:39)

Carpetsmoker wrote:

What do you mean?

OSX only uses a few userland tools from FreeBSD 5, the kernel s different, allot of userland tools have been added, ect.

It could be questioned whether it is "a few" only, but you don't need to think about it because Apple itself is delivering the answer, FreeBSD services and FreeBSD userland. Years ago in Nextstep it was BSD userland. It isn't a secret. Nowaday they are using things like MAC from thrusted BSD too and so on. It isn't equal to MacOS, but it isn't just "a few" too.

And you do know the thing with SunOS? A derivative of BSD? Yes, okay - and yes I do know the history from SunOS to Solaris etc. But the fact is, it's a derivative, like BSD is a derivative of AT&T Unix (initially a mere patchset) and so FreeBSD is a free derivative of original Unix too. It's similar with humans, you have a father, a grandfather and so on, it's all in the family. And maybe you'll not see similarities rather often, but sometimes you will - they pop up from generation to generation, just wait and see wink

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

Carpetsmoker wrote:

when i read you saying this I can't help but thinking you're getting all worked up when no one indicated that it was freebsd. it is really frustrating reading you because it seems very half truth. you act knowledgable in that you identify people's claims and think you have the answer. 'everone thinks' is bullshit. and while I agree that os x is not freebsd, you are arrogant in your claim. I say this because os x kernel is based on xnu which used the bsd kernel code, as well as xnu being entirely it's own entity.

Now you can have your opinion that os x is not bsd but for myself, and i would hope others here, i am pretty proud that something open source and free, with the bsd license was used and improved upon and made corporate with us knowing that the developers here, some our friends possibly, were part of that philosophy or organization that was chosen to be built upon.

I should also point out that it seems from the gpl discussion a while ago that people would be frustrated in that the bsdl supports this sort of 'antifreedom' or un-open-sourcing of code..

Carpetsmoker wrote:

What do you mean?

i agree it's not the same, it would be called the same name if that were the case, very shrewd.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

Apple isn't shy about it's non-eyecandy family big_smile

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles