Topic: anyone used DFly lately?

I used to rely on andre to keep me up to date with what was going on with DFly, but I don't think he uses it anymore.  I'm gonna check out the blog in a few minutes to see if that's been getting updated recently, but I was wondering if anyone has been using it at all?  I haven't really heard much about it and was wondering how it's coming along.  thoughts?

Re: anyone used DFly lately?

I read some blogs that track it's progress and the mailing lists every once in a while. They recently finished vkernel work and there's been lots of discussion on the new file system matt dillion is gonna write for dragonfly.
1.8.1 is supposed to be coming out pretty soon.

I've tried to install it on my lappy a bunch of times, but due to some crappy acpi problems that i have with all bsd's i can't ever get it working.

Lots of work seems to be going into dragonfly and everytime i read about it, makes me want to use it/ work on it even more.
They seem to be achieving there goals fairly well so far.

yeah, the project has always sounded very focused on and diligent in achieving their goals.  I tried it a looong time ago, but it was basically FreeBSD 4.x at that point.  not to say that's a bad thing smile.

there's been lots of discussion on the new file system matt dillion is gonna write for dragonfly.

You mean ZFS (Which is from Sun) or a totally new filesystem?

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchiv … 00155.html

Some ideas for a cluster-filesystem. I'm using DBSD for testing purposes, it's very impressive and powerful.

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

DragonFly has changed focus a bit since their early efforts.  In addition to performance goals, they are heavily focued on various clustering solutions.  In short they want massive scalability both up and out. 

They've made good headway migrating to newer versions of gcc and other tools.  In some ways, DF is much more modern than FreeBSD.