Topic: Where is everyone?

it seems like the forums have had even less traffic than normal for the past couple of weeks.

I haven't been on IRC (or AIM and Jabber that much, for that matter) for a while, so maybe it's been quiet there too, or there's been some explanation of the quietness of the forums.

what's up?

Re: Where is everyone?

My story is a sad one.  :-(.  Seriously, work has kept me extremely busy.  Also, as I've mentioned, it's all Linux, and I just haven't had time or energy to do much with BSD these days.  I still run it at home, but have only been superficially following the mailling lists and forums.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

yeah, I hear you. but even the superficial and social discussions on here seem to be absent lately.

I haven't done anything crazy with BSD lately either, and I don't necessarily have time for IRC and things, but I like to keep up with forums because I can generally read and reply to messages at my own convenience.

post more, everyone!

asemisldkfj wrote:

I haven't been on IRC...

What channel(s) do you frequent & which are good for {Open)BSD discussion?  I guess the time has finally come for me to look into IRC.

What applications are required to get connected?

Yes, my name is ocicat, & I am new to IRC.  smile

Thanks.

irssi is a good console client. 

I used to, when I had lots of free time, hang out on undernet.org's #freebsd, it was a fun place.  Freenode.net is another one where much of the OSS stuff is discussed. 

Be warned, there's a lot of silliness and nastiness on irc.  (You can see some of the funnier ones at www.bash.org)

This forums' channel is chat.taucher.net and #bsdnexus.  (I think the irssi home page has a brief irc tutorial, but if you need help, just ask here, the young 'uns here are pretty up on irc stuff.)

hi, ocicat smile. I was once new to IRC as well, but it's easy! scottro pretty much covered it. I've used both irssi and Gaim on BSD to connect to IRC servers. I prefer irssi.

I thought "our" channel was #bsd, scottro? did it change recently?

regardless, a lot of people who do post or used to post on here hang out at chat.taucher.net, in #bsdnexus or #bsd, we don't seem to be sure smile.

Hrrm, that's a good question, and I'm on the run right now.  Well, occicat, try both. smile
Try bsd first, I'm old so asem's memory is probably better.

Just very busy. Dunno if it'll change before mid-2008 sad

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Its #bsd on chat.taucher.net .

Keep Smiling

I'm here again big_smile

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

And suddenly the forum is alive.  Coincidence....I think not.

You know just the usual ingredients: work, people get lost around Christmas, New Year's Eve etc. ;-)

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

I have been on and off here, but for the last few months I've been stuck at work having a big fight with Suse, yuk.
scottro, I feel your pain in the Linux world, last month I had to update the email server, I ended doing everything over, it was just easier that way. At least I managed to move all our internal servers over to FreeBSD :-)

I wish I had a problem with Linux at work....I've been forced to learn .NET sad

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Wow.  On the other hand, I wish I could program, but I'm too ADD. 
The grass is always greener--programs think sysadmins have it better, we think programmers have it better---shucks I wish I was one of those super sysadmins who telecommute and make lots of money.  smile

Honestly, Linux isn't so bad, now that I'm used to the lack of docs.  Servers are kind of a platform anyway--doh--what I mean is that basically, you run servers to do samba, postfix, apache, or whatever, and much of the fun is in configuring the applications.

I hear ya. I'm always hanging out in the Cave (that what we call our server room) with the sysadmin/help desk guys. They want to program and I can't figure out why when you got all these machine to mess with.

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

I am here too !!! Work forces me to use windows and keeps me away from every other activity tongue

I'm back to NetBSD smile

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

I still check in, and have noticed the lack of traffic.  I've been buried in proposals; the current one has me deep into regular perturbations and single and double Taylor series expansions to make certain PDEs tractable (related to Taylor-Aris dispersion for those into applied mathematics).  That also means heavy doses of vi, groff and friends, and Acrobat.

What is it that computers do again?

Last edited by DrJ (2008-02-24 02:39:46)

I'm here

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

having an OpenBSD router/firewall is kind of boring and uneventful, but I guess that's a good thing smile.

I still have to explore the new PF book and play with my pf.conf a little. I just don't have a ton of time lately with schoolwork and everything. I rarely have time to sit around at a computer either, so I haven't been in #bsd much at all.

I'm here.  Mostly been traveling and doing things off the computer.

smash the state in '08!

I check in every day.  Don't have much to say because I'm working on code and not the OS.  I still have a lot to learn because once I learn it, I forget it because I'm doing other stuff.  Once the other stuff is done, I'll be back on the OS.

I know a lot of the guys from the other forum have moved here but either aren't posting as much or it's because they aren't noobs with a lot of basic questions.

I am not really here. But I hope to be someday.