Topic: uber linux noob needs help to work around some problems.

hello everyone,

so I decided to give this unix bsd (sorry for the linux in the topic) a test ride in an old computer I have, but I

Last edited by metallizer (2008-04-21 15:25:00)

Re: uber linux noob needs help to work around some problems.

I'm heading out the door but one of the first things you will have to learn is DragonFly is NOT Linux; nor are any of the BSDs.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine (2008-04-13 21:22:03)

thanks, but access to information for these unix type system is really confusing, since they are scattered all over the net, you need to be very familiar with the system to strike the correct words in the search bar and get the answer you want.

I

I don't know much about DragonFly so I hesitate to say anything.  Have you looked at the handbook on the dragonfly site?  Why did you start with dragonfly instead of freebsd?

yes, I looked at the dragonfly and the freebsd handbook. they are pretty much the same.

dunno, I red about how it

email the dragonfly list about the garbage. they are really quick to respond in my experience.

as far as the packages, you should be able to download a bunch of packages, burn them to a couple cds, put them on the computer you have dragonfly on, and install the ones you want to.

but I can

Well, I'm not really sure about DragonFly, but many people do somehow succeed in installing the various BSDs. 

I suspect there are other reasons Windows dominates the market, considering that it really isn't that easy to install from scratch. 

Quite honestly, Windows is more of a pain to install than many Linux distributions.  Oh, and what would the 5 year old do when he enters the serial number and it doesn't work, he goes to the automatic page, and winds up having to call Microsoft, only to hear that he better call Dell--most 5 year olds don't have the attention span to get through that.

No wonder so many people are getting fed up with Windows.  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

one of the assets windows was over other systems is that there are answers and walkthrus available for all kinds of problems, even the really dumb ones.

like this, I have all the files from ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.3 now how can I install this thing?

even in the msdos era you didn't have to mount drives (I found out how to do this btw) and to install things you just have to type install or setup.

Yes, that's true.  Windows does have excellent documentation and help, they got it right around Windows 2000.  However, the BSDs are far better, as far as official docs, (Man pages, centralized place to find things) than Linux.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Windows, too, is geared toward the non-technical user.  It's like the family van.  Fine for hauling the soccer kids around but, if you want real work done, you need a heavy duty truck.  That's where the BSDs come in.  A tool for professionals.

It's also on the bleeding edge and constantly changing and upgrading while Windows rarely innovates and only copies existing technologies.  Plus, it must maintain backwards compatibility with itself from many years in the past.  User friendliness and ease of use are its goals more than technical superiority.

So, with the BSDs, and Linux, too, you need to know the system.  Point and click is not its goals nor its philosophy on how things should work (initially).

k, so here's what i did:

1. visited www.dragonflybsd.org

2. clicked on "guides," http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/guides.shtml

3. clicked "dragonfly handbook," http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/ … D_Handbook

4. chose multi-page

5. found "5.3 Installing X11," http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/x-install.html

have fun!

whoa, i just found awesome things on dragonfly's FAQ page:

I get garbage on the screen when I boot or I can't seem to pause at the initial boot menu.

DragonFly, when booting, outputs to both video and serial ports. If the booting computer has a 'noisy' serial device connected, it may read data from it during the boot process. Serial console activation during boot can be disabled by creating the file /boot.config with the contents: '-V'

hey, thanks for that one lucas!

I found out how to build xorg from it

that