Topic: any nvidia users out there who tried the new beta drivers ?

hi there.

i'd like to ask if there are any fbsd users out there who have tested the new beta drivers nvidia released lately. since i own a GeeForce 9600GT i cannot use the latest public drivers for they don't support my card.

so far i've tried both beta drivers:
171.06 dated March 7.
and
173.08 dated April 10.

171.06 performs a lot better when it comes to running 3d applications. i got ~ 600 fps in native quake 3 running the standard "four_dm" timedemo. using the 173.08 drivers fps dropped to ~ 500. sad

also for some reason the 173.08 drivers are unable to detect my card if i load the kernel module while i'm running the system. the only way to use them is to put an entry in /boot/loader.conf and reboot the system.

unfortunately both beta drivers are (at least on my system) unable to run linux 3d applications. so far i've tried linux-doom3, linux-quake4 and linux-ut2004. here are the various error messages i'm getting:

linux-quake4:

Initializing SDL subsystem
Loading GL driver 'libGL.so.1' through SDL
Initializing SDL subsystem
Loading GL driver 'libGL.so.1' through SDL
Fatal Error: Unable to initialize OpenGL
--------------- BSE Shutdown ----------------
---------------------------------------------
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Sys_Error: Unable to initialize OpenGL

linux-doom3 (app remains running though and must be killed by hand):

Setup X display connection
dlopen(libGL.so.1)
Illegal instruction: 4

linux-ut2004 produces no output at all and simply hangs after a few seconds of hdd activity. the app can be ended with ctrl+c giving me the following output:

CTRL-C before main loop ... forcing exit.

oh...and btw.: i'm running emulators/linux_base-f8 and compat.linux.osrelease is set to "2.6.20".

is anybody else experiencing this behaviour when trying to run linux-apps? or are other problems bugging you? please share your experiences.

cheers.

Re: any nvidia users out there who tried the new beta drivers ?

Make sure the OpenGL library that is loaded is actually the nVidia library and not the X library.
The nvidia driver should overwrite the X OpenGL libs ... Yes, I know, this sucks...

My general experience with nVidia drivers are that they're shit ... I tolerate them because I have no choice, but not because I like them ... I almost always have problems upgrading (So I just stopped upgrading)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

what i usually do after i install a new kernel or rebuild world is to install the drivers again before i reboot. that way i don't have any problems with the nvidia drivers after an upgrade. thanks for the hint. i just checked the linux GL files and they seem to be the ones from the nvidia driver package:

[arundel@linux - 09:20 pm] pwd
/usr/home/arundel/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-171.06/obj/linux
[arundel@linux - 09:21 pm] for i in *; do diff -s $i /compat/linux/usr/lib/$i; done
Files libGL.so.171.06 and /compat/linux/usr/lib/libGL.so.171.06 are identical
Files libGLcore.so.171.06 and /compat/linux/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.171.06 are identical
Files libcuda.so.171.06 and /compat/linux/usr/lib/libcuda.so.171.06 are identical
Files libnvidia-cfg.so.171.06 and /compat/linux/usr/lib/libnvidia-cfg.so.171.06 are identical
Files libnvidia-tls.so.171.06 and /compat/linux/usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.171.06 are identical
[arundel@linux - 09:21 pm]

cheers.

Does games in 2.6 emulation mode actually works? I dont thinks so. There are very limited number of currently working linux applications in 2.6 kernel emulation, mostly because 2.6 emulation code is incomplete and needs much more work to do.

Currently in code there is difference of operation if sysctl variable is 2.4.X or 2.6.X and X is not important (it can be anything).

if i change compat.linux.osrelease to 2.4.0 e.g. i get the following message when trying to run a linux-app:

FATAL: kernel too old

...oh...and btw.: value X in 2.4.X or 2.6.X seems to be quite important. setting it to 2.6.20 lets me run linux apps. setting it to 2.6.0 on the other hand gives me the very same error message i posted above.

cheers.

I was trying to explain from FreeBSD kernel side (linux module), it takes distiction only betwen 2.6.X and 2.4.X. Off course if you set it to 2.6.X43U4 it will not work smile

Last edited by richardpl (2008-05-15 23:08:19)

Incidentally, yesterday I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6 (fc6) because skype needed this, But UnrealTournament (games/linux-ut) showed some very strange behaviour and it was unusable, downgrading to 2.4 (fc4) solved the issue...

if i change compat.linux.osrelease to 2.4.0 e.g. i get the following message when trying to run a linux-app:
FATAL: kernel too old

Using fc6 or fc8 with compat.linux.osrelease < 2.6 doesn't work ... Use linux_base-fc4

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

ok. so i switched from linux_base-f8 to linux_base-fc4. now this is what i get when trying to run any linux-app:

/lib/obsolete/linuxthreads/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found

any ideas?