Topic: Where found articles on how create a package on OpenBSD?

Where found articles on how create a package on OpenBSD?
For the moment i only known that it's necessary utilized the pkg_create utility.

Re: Where found articles on how create a package on OpenBSD?

The OpenBSD package and ports system
Building an OpenBSD port
OpenBSD porting checklist

Thanks.

It will be possible have other links with clear examples?

What are you trying to accomplish here? 

pkg_create is for creating a binary package from something already installed. It shouldn't be your first choice. From the pkg_create man page: "Use of the ports(7) infrastructure instead of manual pkg_create invocation is strongly recommended."

The ports system automatically creates packages as it builds and stores them under /usr/ports/packages.  You can also create a package without installing on the local system by changing to the port directory of what you want to build and type "make package".  You also have the option of going to the top of the ports tree and do a bulk build if you are so inclined.

Most of the ports have packages built so there's little need to (re)build those. There's a few flavors that might not be built so you may need to build that.  Snapshots for most platforms have packages pre-built so unless you running snapshots on of these platforms then you probably don't need to build these packages either. (If I dug my 25Mhz mac68k box out of the closet, I can guarantee that I'll use packages wink).

Are you doing something beyond this or did you just need to be pointed in the right direction?

Thanks now I have some ideas more clearer. smile

Is it possible utilized FreeBSD port on OpenBSD without problem?

aleunix wrote:

No, FreeBSD ports are for FreeBSD.

aleunix wrote:

To run FreeBSD binaries on OpenBSD, study the manpage to compat_freebsd(8).

For the moment I'm reading the information on the following link since I have not yet installed openbsd.

Thanks.

Last edited by aleunix (2008-05-31 20:19:51)