Re: Any BSD on Toshiba Portege 610CT?

I already installed dwm, which is supposed to be one of the fastest, right?

So before i leave this thread to learn more netBSD specifics, are there any secret tricks I can do to MAXIMIZE performance? The Debian guys told me to comment out all but 1 or 2 tty's, where would I find that?
Also, any alternative Xservers like maybe Kdrive or something? I really have no idea, just making sure I've done all I can at this point to make things work the fastest possible.

The box really is shaping up!

Maybe if this goes well, I can make a habit of buying super cheap laptops on Ebay and fixing them up and giving them away. So far I've found at least 3 more for under 50 $USD that are fully functional with AC adapter/battery.

Thanks again everyone, having actual people to consult with helps a whole heap!

whohlme wrote:

The Debian guys told me to comment out all but 1 or 2 tty's, where would I find that?

In /etc/ttys mate.

"religions, worst damnation of mankind"
[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

Last night I did end up getting GIMP 1.2.5 up and running rather nicely by specifying the exact file name *.tgz. It appears to work acceptably with images 256x256 as far as i tried.

If i were to attempt to make a triple boot system with Net/Free/OpenBSD, would it easy to do with sysinst? I know the Debian dual boot did not work for some reason, but I figured that was because of issues with GRUB. Since all the BSD's are similar would it be eaiser to split the disk into 3  ~4GB partitions and have a boot menu? I would like to see how they all would run in terms of speed and battery life as well as just learing as much UNIX as I can.

whohlme wrote:

If i were to attempt to make a triple boot system with Net/Free/OpenBSD, would it easy to do with sysinst?

sysinst is the utility used by NetBSD for installation.
sysinstall is FreeBSD's utility for installation.
*  OpenBSD integrates their install shell scripts into their bsd.rd kernel.

To learn about each project's install procedure, go to each project Website & study the documentation provided.  The *BSD projects have had over a dozen years to diverge, & that they have done.  Each has its own personality, although there are some things they still have in common.

also, what would be the smallest wm in terms of RAM usage?

whohlme wrote:

The default window managers configured for each of the projects:

* twm for both FreeBSD & NetBSD
* fvwm for OpenBSD

...are both minimal.  Fluxbox is a popular window manager found on all *BSD's which is also deemed minimal.  cwm on OpenBSD is quite minimal.  I don't recall seeing exact numbers, but in time you will develop a relative feel for what is bloated & what is not. 

As you continue to read, study, & find answers for yourself, you will get a better feel for what window managers are available.  One site you may want to visit is the following:

http://xwinman.org/

whohlme wrote:

TinyWM --> http://incise.org/tinywm.html
Has only 50 lines of C code.

[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

OK, I plan to set up a quad boot with NetBSD/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Debian. Would it be best to set up the BSD's first and then Debian, or vice-versa? Which bootloader would be better?

whohlme wrote:

Which bootloader would be better?

GRUB will do the job.

If you go the GRUB way (which will be installed by Debian) then you'll want to install Debian first and the other BSDs afterwards ensuring you do not install the MBR of the BSDs else you'll kill GRUB wink

... then you just need to configure GRUB for the other OSes

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Hmmm..... saying that, I can't remember is GRUB is intelligent enough to auto-add any other OSes it finds. Perhaps I was wrong to suggest installing Debian first...

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Yes that is what I was told at the Debian forums as well; to go with Debian first and then the BSD's.

The only thing I need to know is how to modify GRUB to add the other OS's. I know I would add an entry to some text file, but what I would type in is somewhat of a mystery to me.

Also, would it be good to pre-partition (gparted), or use the OS installation tools? And what about swap? Is it better to make a partition, or go with a file? If I install all 4 OS's that will leave no primary partition room for swap so that would force me into a file versus a partition anyways, right?

WIntellect wrote:

Hmmm..... saying that, I can't remember is GRUB is intelligent enough to auto-add any other OSes it finds. Perhaps I was wrong to suggest installing Debian first...

whohlme wrote:

Yes that is what I was told at the Debian forums as well; to go with Debian first and then the BSD's.

That does not matter generally, you can also add grub from FreeBSD Ports or from pkgsrc.

whohlme wrote:

Also, would it be good to pre-partition (gparted), or use the OS installation tools?

While you may be able to use gparted for everything, there are some nasty edges cases which may bite you.  It is not a perfect tool.  It is far more prudent to use the tools coming with each OS.  In other words, use A & its tools to install A.  Next, use B & B's tools to install B.  etc.

If I install all 4 OS's that will leave no primary partition room for swap so that would force me into a file versus a partition anyways, right?

Recognize that "partition" in the *BSD world might refer to a MBR partition, but it most likely refers to a BSD slice found within a MBR partition.  Most important, disklabel(8) must be able to identify the partition in order for it to be used as swap.

You should take into account that OpenBSD 4.3 (& older...), NetBSD, & FreeBSD must all be installed in primary MBR partitions.

So I think the BSD's will take care of the swap partition (slice) within their primary partition, I'll check if Debian can do that too...

This may be superstition on my part or lack of knowledge, but would it be wise to wipe the drive before beginning? I have the time for a 35 pass wipe. If it is useless or even damaging, however, let me know.

whohlme wrote:

So I think the BSD's will take care of the swap partition (slice) within their primary partition...

Correct.  That is what I said.

would it be wise to wipe the drive before beginning?

How sensitive was the data last present on the drive?  If it wasn't very sensitive, I wouldn't bother zeroing or randomizing the bit patterns stored -- especially if the drive is staying in your possession.

If by sensitive, you mean how private the date was e.g. credit card numbers, personal files, etc., then there was NO sensitive data at all. I have very little of that anyways.

When I finally get these systems up, what is a good way to compare memory/cpu usage. I know under Linux, I would use something like GNOME System Monitor to check RAM usage and cpu load. Is there a command line version of this that I can use to see which BSD takes more power?

whohlme wrote:

When I finally get these systems up, what is a good way to compare memory/cpu usage.

top(1).

It is best to go with the latest versions of all of these BSD's, right? Or would getting an older version for older hardware be wiser/faster?

whohlme wrote:

It is best to go with the latest versions of all of these BSD's, right? Or would getting an older version for older hardware be wiser/faster?

The hardware you have described is not that old.  I would recommend staying with the latest versions.  That is where bugs have been fixed.

As for older versions being faster, I doubt it.  In fact, on the circa 2000 hardware that I run NetBSD, NetBSD 4.0 is perceptibly faster than NetBSD 3.1.  With OpenBSD, I would never use an older version unless there was a specific reason to do so.  Again, I have no knowledge of FreeBSD.

By always running the latest versions, you have an indication whether you can upgrade to the next release.  If you are running an old version, you run the risk of being locked in, & unless you document what you have done, you may have issues in reconfiguring if the need arises.  Plus, with running older versions, you may be on your own.  Everyone else will have moved on to newer versions, & forgotten the idiosyncrasies of vintage versions.  I don't recall NetBSD's or FreeBSD's policies, but OpenBSD officially drops support for anything over a year old.  It's a small project, & the focus is on current development, not supporting legacy versions.

Last edited by ocicat (2008-10-09 18:25:36)