Topic: Anyone have NetBSD 5.0 running on a Desktop system?

I'm trying to set up NetBSD 5.0 as a usable desktop with multimedia, nice X setup, etc.
How many people have done this successfully? It seems that it takes a LONG time, especially for someone new to BSD like me (I have plenty of experience with Linux). I've been working through the NetBSD guide for several house over the last two days.

Feedback please. I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.

I can't get pkg_add to work. It freezes on the "get" step of the ftp transaction.
I can't get sup to work. It says "SUP: Can't find my host entry 'machine0' "

Thanks,

G

Re: Anyone have NetBSD 5.0 running on a Desktop system?

I haven't used NetBSD since 4, but maybe you should give FreeBSD a try. It may be a bit easier.

But, it sounds like your network isn't active or you haven't configured your system correctly to use pkg_add or sup.

Maybe you should post the command line you used for pkg_add as I recall you need to feed it the repository to look at if you haven't set up the conf file correctly.

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

if i were to install something besides windows on my thinkpad t61, it would certainly be netbsd 5.0.

I'm using it on my Acer Extensa 4620 (dual boot with Xp), and it works well until now (but need some tunes - i'll do it when i have time):
for now :
- Xorg from base system (less than one hour installation);
- others packages from pkgsrc (pkg downloading is too long) : mplayer, moc, development tools;
- can write on NTFS filesystems using ntfs-3g.

Hi,
I'm now using NetBSD 5.1 RC3 on a HP Pavilion DV6 2140ef, and the following pkgs from pkgsrc 2010Q2: modular Xorg, jwm, XFCE, and KDE 4.
However, I have some problems with :
- my hardware : my wifi card is not recognized, an 'Intel Advanced AGN 6200', and so is my GC nVidia GeForce GT 320 (I use VESA driver)
- KDE 4 : It is slow in general but It works, and KDE crashed every time I logged out (until now, I didn't find a solution).

And the 2 biggest problems are :
- the sound behavior on the system
- as dynek reports : "<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support"

Last edited by rakakabe (2010-09-03 15:35:31)

Well I feel like fighting against Bruce Lee... I'm trying since 2 weeks to have NetBSD 5 on a lappy acer inspire 1350 (X freezing) and nobody can realy help so I'm trying to compile Xorg.

Like you I have a strong experience of Linux and I remember that it was the same when I came to Debian for the first time : lost in the universe...

yeah but then you start discovering all the beautiful things you've never seen before and you know it was worth the wait /fight :-)

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

A new OS always brings with it a new way to do things. The frustration is having to set aside the old ways we are used to doing things and taking on the "new".

IMHO most give up early saying it's "rubbish" or that it's "not as good" because they are not willing to make the journey/effort to learn the new OS. What defines "goodness" is whether we are more productive with the new OS once we have come to learn/understand it.

Confucius wrote:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Maybe the best way is to check all components supported by the NetBSD system and choose your laptop by those information? I think that's what I'm going to do to buy my laptop this summer.

I am adding a reply to this message mainly to help someone,  who would be interested to run NetBSD on the desktop, as I have a lot of experience with running Gnome, Kde and Xfce desktop and with Xen on NetBSD.

1. pkg_add is really unreliable lately. It often freezes in the middle of a transaction, no idea why. The more comfortable option is pkgin in pkgsrc, however even that one tends not to complete the installation. Anyway in both cases there is need to tell the computer where the packages are, and unfortunately that changes. For pkg_add do "export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/path/to/the/packages/" and if you want it permanent put this into /etc/profile, in the latter case edit /etc/pkgin.conf or whatever they decide to call that config in future.

2. using pkgsrc to compile sofware is really more reliable option, however, adjust /etc/mk.conf before compiling the software you want. To see the options you can get, it is advised to go to the software you like and see the options e.g. "cd /usr/pkgsrc/print/gutenprint && make show-options"

3. since the 5x series, I have found NetBSD less and less reliable in terms of applications from pkgsrc crashing without a cause, and NetBSD kernel failing unexpectedly while xen runs

so, if you like testing and adventure, go and install NetBSD, because there is really plenty of packages in PKGSRC and multimedia of all kind from Flash over gstreamer-plugins-bad and ugly to vlc and libdvdcss and they work. Don't expect stability however.

In any case http://wiki-static.aydogan.net/ be your friend where you find a lot of stuff until they fix the original wiki.

good luck
Kolaloka

I haven't used NetBSD on a desktop since 3.0, for several years. Because I have to ditch Windows for something, it will be either NetBSD or Linux.

What I have to know, will I be able to have X with Gallium3D, necessity for MMO I play? As far as I see, I will be able to get 3D to work by compiling modular xorg from pkgsrc, but that MMO needs Mesa with Gallium3d and certain extensions - at least on Radeons.
It doesn't only run on Wine, but it's officially supported on it, though Linux gets all the love. The game is Eve Online.

I have tried to search the Internet, but info about netbsd is not easy to get.

Here is official game wiki with instructions how to run it.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Insta … _with_wine

If you run other games on netbsd box you may have info I seek. I don't seek help. I don't have NetBSD installed yet.

But then do you think I'll be better served with some linux distro? I plan to use NetBSD as a desktop and little server in my home, though I'd like to avoid running linux as much as possible.

Last edited by MXD (2011-09-29 10:28:57)