Re: The magazine

eine -> ein
bissen -> bischen

smile

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Sigh, I see he also misspelled Kris' name in the header--Moore, not More.  smile

Vielen Danke dynek.  Although I was told that even native speakers sometimes make mistakes with ein, eine, der die und so worten.  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

'??? ?? ????? ??? ????? ?? ?????? !

When you say 1st of july release, which is the last day of article submission ?
Damn it I need a screen !!

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

That's mean--I should answer with Japanese script, but it'll show up as gibberish to everyone.  :=(

Is the release out yet? I'm not sure if I already have missed it.

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

nope, not yet.  I'm not sure what's going on.

As I said, people have lost interest due to busy/hectic lives.

If we were to release another issue there would be zero content. No one has submitted things to me and the like.

I think people are far too busy to get serious with a mag sad

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

wait, you released an issue already?

asemisldkfj wrote:

No, as I had nothing submitted for the next issue. What's the point of releasing an issue when the next issue has no set date?

A tight schedule needs to run, and I don't think anyone is able to cope with that at the mo

-- Copyright BSDnexus

WIntellect wrote:
asemisldkfj wrote:

No, as I had nothing submitted for the next issue. What's the point of releasing an issue when the next issue has no set date?

A tight schedule needs to run, and I don't think anyone is able to cope with that at the mo

I totally agree wintellect. So, why not gather a group of dedicated contributors that don't mind sticking to a schedule? I'm in. I think there are some others around that could stand to lay aside the irc and do something constructive if only for a couple hours a month.

Last edited by KernelPanicked (2005-08-01 19:20:51)

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

im in, but no one cares, and someone just wants the magazine to consist of the elite bsd nexus members how sad, how can such people discriminate people at the times when we are all struggling for the same goal

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

WIntellect wrote:

No one has submitted things to me and the like.

That's partially true. scottro and I have submitted stuff.

I know that's parly true andre - but I need stuff for following issues too!

So, if anyone wants to be part of a "serious" commitment to a mag and it's requirements, then stand up and be recognised - and in approx. 1 week we'll see who's who and then we can get submissions and the like going smile

-- Copyright BSDnexus

I was cleaning my hard drive and found a copy of BSD Nexus Magazine....

I had totally forgot about it. It was a darn good attempt at a e-zine!

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

All the links in this thread are dead, can someone upload it (I assume it's no longer being sold?)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

It has never been sold. upload it roddie ! wink

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Here's my copy that I found...

http://www.bsdnexus.com/misc/BSDMagVol1Iss1.pdf

Please mirror as my upload is rather poor

Enjoy!!!   big_smile

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Mirrored http://jage.se/dump/BSDMagVol1Iss1.pdf

Thank you.

Have acrobat and xpdf gone crazy or is half the magezine is some weird language, the first page "In the news" looks Italian(?), the interview with Kris Moore is in Egnlish, and then the first page of "OpenBSD  firewall in a few easy steps) in the same weird language again, while the rest of this article (By scottro) is in English, the Ruby article is also in English.

bleh? ugh?

Another BSD magezine (in the making):
http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/sho … hp?t=53025

This was explained somewhere on these forums, I think--or perhaps Wintellect emailed me privately.  It's Latin, I believe, and is used as a placeholder--a fairly standard (I think) practice in publishing--or else it's esparanto--but at any rate, it's used as a placeholder.  (Does a quick forum search for Latin)

Ah, answered in the thread we're in, post 18.  smile

http://www.lipsum.com/

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Right, so I've got a draft version smile

How was the magazine received btw? Were there a lot of readers?

Last edited by Carpetsmoker (2007-10-18 00:10:46)

I forgot how professional it looked, great work guys. I know when groups want to start zines it's always difficult to keep coming up with material. Maybe quarterly one could work out easier.

$ gcc -Wall Kuno.c -o Kuno
Kuno.c: In function 'main':
Kuno.c:5: warning: unused variable 'Life'

People liked the magazine and the overall look / feel.

It never got completed 'cos people didn't submit stuff - and this was the main problem, getting articles. I quite happily devoted time to the layout work, but the lack of content was frustrating.

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Maybe a quarterly or bimonthly schedule would work. Only then, we could have a bare set of articles, and then additions made on the fly. Sort of like a Road Map.