Re: The magazine

The magazine was meant to be bimonthly - I struggled to get people to submit articles for the first issue.

I'm not saying it can't / wont work - merely that people who get involved need to be seriously commited to the idea.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

It never got completed 'cos people didn't submit stuff - and this was the main problem, getting articles. I quite happily devoted time to the layout work, but the lack of content was frustrating.

I've been an editor for a local boyscout magezine for three years, and I know exactly what you mean.
When I asked people about it, they said it was great, important, etc.
But when I needed people to write some content it was a different story altogether....

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

WIntellect, if your still looking for some serious writers I'm up for it.

Just let me know what is the schedule.
Really people lets not let this idea died.

I actually had an article published in Byte Magazine years ago.  I was called on the phone by some publisher wanting me to write a technical book, too.  I've got a really good story about being contacted by spies and the FBI about all that.  Someday, I'll write about it.  smile

Aww man, you can't leave me hanging with teasers about spies and the FBI!!

Oh, and I right an article or two - but I'm not sure what the heck to write about...

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

So anyway.........

Many moons ago, I wrote a hardware article about memory design for Byte magazine.  Not too long after it was published, I got two post cards from an Eastern European communist country asking for a copy of the article.  It was signed by some scientists from a univeristy, I think.  Well, that wouldn't be right for me to do, and illegal, too, so on a lark, I thought I'd call the FBI and ask them if they would be interested in having the post cards. 

I was invited to bring them down to their offices.  I arrived and was taken to a non-descript room where two agents interviewed me.  They assured me it was probably nothing but asked if I could do them a favor.  The one agent told me these "scientists" probably already had the article but were looking to see if I would respond. 

Nothing would probably happen but, sometime later, I might get a phone call from someone claiming to be one of the scientists.  They might ask me out to dinner or something to discuss the article. 

Not that they thought anything like that would actually happen.  I thought it would be fun!

About a month went by.  It was a dark and stormy night.  I was alone in my small home, my wife mysteriously had not arrived home from work yet.  The wind howled through the trees.  Things went bump in the night.  Then....the phone rang.

"Hi!  I represent a publisher from XYZ Company in Denver, Colorado.  We saw your article in Byte magazine and thought it was very good.  We're always looking for writers and I'm calling to see if you had any ideas for a book.  Specifically we'd be interested in bleeding edge technology and the latest high capacity hard disk drives."

I said, "Could you excuse me a minute, sir.  I have to go wipe the crap out of my pants."

I kid you not.  I was shaking.  I called the FBI agents the next day.  I had asked the publisher to send me a sample book of what they were interested in.  The FBI said they would check on the company but to follow through and see what happens. 

Not that they thought anything would. 

Turns out, the publisher was legitimate.  It was the most harrowing two weeks of my life.

haha, that's a good story.

Great story drhowarddrfine!

Bitweiler, I suppose I could write something, but, like RoddieRod, I'm not sure what to write about either ...

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

drhowarddrfine wrote:

About a month went by.  It was a dark and stormy night.  I was alone in my small home, my wife mysteriously had not arrived home from work yet.  The wind howled through the trees.  Things went bump in the night.  Then....the phone rang.

Dude, don't keep us in suspense!  Did your wife ever come home?

wink

Carpetsmoker wrote:

Bitweiler, I suppose I could write something, but, like RoddieRod, I'm not sure what to write about either ...

And here lies the commencement of the issues.

As I said, I'd happily spend time doing the page layout and the work to piece the magzine together - but i need articles. To make the magazine a goer I'd need regular articles - as regular as we make the magazine wink    The easiest thing would be to have themes eg. a 4 part article on "subject xyz" meaning you'd then have a clear idea of what to write about that would be spanned over 4 magazines.

I'm glad people like the idea and that they'd submit articles - but we need more meat on the bone people.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

drhowarddrfine wrote:

So anyway.........

Sweet. So did you right the book?

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

ocicat wrote:

Dude, don't keep us in suspense!  Did your wife ever come home?

wink

lol

So did you right the book?

I never wrote the book.  Hmm.  Why do you ask?  You don't happen to be a scientist, are you?

Last edited by drhowarddrfine (2008-03-25 16:08:33)

He keeps large dangerous animals around to keep spies away. 

Not to mention that he's a large member. 
You STILL haven't answered ocicat's question.  WHERE IS YOUR WIFE???

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

I never wrote the book.  Hmm.  Why do you ask?  You don't happen to be a scientist, are you

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"

He keeps large dangerous animals around to keep spies away.

hmm, never thought about it but maybe the keep the spies from escaping.... :?

Last edited by RoddieRod (2008-03-25 18:47:41)

-Nietzsche