Topic: The magazine

Hey Wintellect, how are we doing on the magazine.  (One reason I ask is that we have that exclusive interview with Kris, and it might answer a few questions people have about PCBSD.  Also, if we don't hurry, it won't be exclusive soon.)  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: The magazine

Well, most of the mag is now holding together:
http://www.bsdnexus.com/tmp/BSDMagVol1Iss1.pdf

See what you think. A couple more articles and we should be ready to go with issue 1!

(PS. Perhaps someone with a faster connection can mirror the file for me wink )

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Will do....will put in a link as soon as it uploads

BSDMAG

Last edited by KernelPanicked (2005-06-07 11:22:51)

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Thank you!

I'm limited to 128 upload speed sad

-- Copyright BSDnexus

hehe the site is on my company test server. rape those OC12's people smile

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Whoa !! Ruby works OO only ?
I specially liked reading my... interview with the PBSD developer.
I also liked that the magazine didn't contain politics smile
I think that the editor's words are unreadable (maybe a different font?)
Can't wait to see it finished

/edit And maybe there shouldn't be www.openbsd.org on the front page as it may be mislead people. smile

Last edited by spyretto (2005-06-07 15:16:33)

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

spyretto wrote:

Whoa !! Ruby works OO only ?

behind the scenes yeah. you can write procedural-style programs if you want though.

i am intertesing this magazine. ah it is dual-language included en and fr(?) , it will multi language ?! i think i need to learn fr(?) language for reading this MZ ?.

Last edited by gnu (2005-06-07 15:53:42)

Err--It was Scott, (scottro here) not spyretto, who did the interview.  Sheesh.  smile

hum "newbie" not "n00b" please smile

the mag looks awesome! Thanks WIntellect for your great work

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

scottro wrote:

Err--It was Scott, (scottro here) not spyretto, who did the interview.  Sheesh.  smile

No... It was me. Didn't you read the magazine ? tongue:P:P

When will it be out ?
Do I have enough time to do a compresion (bzip,gzip,zip.....) benchmark ?  Will you inlude it ?
How about a section with quick tricks ?

You credit stealer you   smile

I want to join with Dynek though in congratulating Wintellect on an EXCELLENT job.  (But give me my credit, goldurnit.)

the image in the PC-BSD interview headline could be of higher resolution, and it's overlapped by the text a bit.  I know we're not printing the mag, but even on 100% zoom in xpdf, the images for the PC-BSD article look a bit pixelated.

I'm not sure, but should the headline for the Ruby article read "A practical intro to Perl's sister, Ruby"?  also, are we gonna capitilize the appropriate words in the headlines, or just leave it at capitalizing the first word and proper nouns?

gnu: I mentioned making the mag multi-lingual a while back, and I hope it happens!  we have people who speak quite a few different languages on here, so it's possible!

and yeah well... of course I also want to thank you guys for sending stuff for the mag big_smile

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

I still want to know why is that beginning in Latin?  (I'm guessing it's Latin, I'm American and as you people from other countries probably know, we are horribly behind the rest of the world in learning other people's languages)

spyretto wrote:

Do I have enough time to do a compresion (bzip,gzip,zip.....) benchmark ?  Will you inlude it ?

I think this would be a nice article, especially if it included the time needed for compression/decompression, and not only the compression rate of each of the formats.

gnu wrote:

i am intertesing this magazine. ah it is dual-language included en and fr(?) , it will multi language ?! i think i need to learn fr(?) language for reading this MZ ?.

No it's english-only. Some parts are filled with random latin text until someone (WIntellect tongue) decides to write the appropriate content.

andre wrote:
spyretto wrote:

I think this would be a nice article, especially if it included the time needed for compression/decompression, and not only the compression rate of each of the formats.

YEP! Send it in Spyretto!!!!

The aim is for a 1st July release!!!

-- Copyright BSDnexus

Well I was a bit late to the party so I didn't get to put anything into the mag, but I think it has some really awesome stuff in it. Of course, as an OpenBSD fanatic, I had to love the cover too smile

Last edited by KernelPanicked (2005-06-07 23:20:29)

So, Wintellect, since it's already up as a magazine, can I mention the interview on PCBSD forums?  (Or on nycbug, where it's also been discussed)

AND CAN YOU GET THE DURN NAME RIGHT???   Sheesh, how can I get this on my resume? 

scottro, alias spyretto.  smile

Look scottro, it is simple.
You have to find  some other guy to interview.
How many times do we have to say it ?

Last edited by spyretto (2005-06-08 02:31:43)

Spyretto, you busy tomorrow?  I can interview you.  smile

I still want to know why is that beginning in Latin?  (I'm guessing it's Latin, I'm American and as you people from other countries probably know, we are horribly behind the rest of the world in learning other people's languages)

The beginning is in Latin because Scribus allows you to create like an example of what he can do (multi column) and since it doesnt mean much when nothing is written in those columns. They choosed to write random latin words.
And yes you guys are retarded big_smile LEARN OTHER LANGUAGES !!

oh yeah, I meant to answer that question.  it's just filler text!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum big_smile

Ich kann eine bissen Deutsch sprechen.  Sono ue, nihongo yoku dekirun da yo.  smile

(I can speak a little German.  Additionally, I speak Japanese rather well, and I actually took two years of Latin, which is why I recognized tha for what it is.)

I'm not as bad as some Americans.  Though most of you Europeans speak 3-6 langauges fluently, so I can't brag.