Topic: Hardware Swap Forum?

We talked about a hardware swap forum on Thursday or Friday - was there anymore discussion?  I say we try it out - thoughts?

I have 2 old dells to give away, and are anyone's as long as they pay the shipping...

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

Re: Hardware Swap Forum?

Sounds cool. I've got a couple Sparc 5/10's and an assload of Whitebox Ppro/1/2's.

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

KernelPanicked wrote:

Sounds cool. I've got a couple Sparc 5/10's and an assload of Whitebox Ppro/1/2's.

Man - I've *always* wanted a Sparc!!!!  Count me in for one of those big_smile   Especially if it's 64bit

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

sad

damn duties.

andre wrote:

sad

damn duties.

even on personal gifts?

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

scuzzo wrote:

even on personal gifts?

yep, unless it's a book. everything else is taxed, especially electronic stuff.

perlfan: I might have to take you up on one of those Dells if I can't come across anything else soon.

asemisldkfj wrote:

perlfan: I might have to take you up on one of those Dells if I can't come across anything else soon.

Works for me.  BTW, I wish we would have done this before I went out and bought an Ultra 60 on ebay.  BTW, I have FreeBSD 5.3 running like a champ now that I got my null serial cable in wink....I am upgrading to 5.4 as we speak.

Wintellect, be careful.  I know for certain FreeBSD must be installed via serial console, and I am pretty sure Open and Net are the same way.  I got around this easily by getting a null serial cable from ebay and using my FreeBSD laptop (and Kermit) to connect to the box for the install.

WIntellect wrote:
KernelPanicked wrote:

Man - I've *always* wanted a Sparc!!!!  Count me in for one of those big_smile   Especially if it's 64bit

can we just make the forums for xyz's sake, it will keep this place from becoming dead or make things more interesting here

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."