Topic: NetBSD - ARC / MIPS on Qemu!

Well... I was playing with Windows NT on the Qemu MIPS version, and figured I'd see if anything else could run on it...

And NetBSD 'kind' of does!...

The big caveat here is that a LOT of disk activity will crash the kernel... And the installer from 5.0.2 just crashes as soon as it's uncompressing & untarring...

However it doesn't stop you from using NT to make a system partition, then setting up the NetBSD partitions on an i386 emulator (again qemu), untarring the MIPS stuff on the disk, then handing it back to the MIPS emulator...

1.5.1 runs way better then 5.0.2 ... however the networking is all screwed up.

It always boots up with a mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00 which won't help at all... I couldn't find an override, so I altered the device driver to use a MAC address... But then it was crashing with all these assert errors.. maybe I didn't fake it correctly?  I commented out the asserts, and hard coded some ARP addresses, and UDP works... I can query name servers, but not TCP.

Very strange.

But it's a quick and easy way to check out a NetBSD platform that as far as I can tell has been long dead.... I wonder if anyone even has any ARC hardware???

If anyone even wants to check it out, download this:
http://vpsland.superglobalmegacorp.com/ … 0.12.3.zip

it's all ready to go!.. the pre-built qemu emulator is for windows, but any one that can build qemu 0.12.3 can run this as well.. The disk will autoboot, and you may want to add the -no-graphics flag for *nix people as you end up with a serial console anyways.....

Anyone else ever use NetBSD MIPS stuff?

Last edited by neozeed (2010-12-01 20:26:50)

Re: NetBSD - ARC / MIPS on Qemu!

I've seen people download this thing, I hope someone finds it enjoyable... at any rate I've moved my files around and updated the link for any wayward MIPS NetBSD people....

Wwwaoouuuhh finally a message that isn't spam ! Thank you neozeed :-)

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

No worries mate!

Also I found NetBSD 0.9 & did a resurrection of 0.8....