Topic: long lost #bsders

neozeed just mentioned ljfong and it got me thinking.  who else used to frequent #bsd and hasn't been around for a while?

the only other person I can think of is dkaplowitz.

I was absent for a while when I was in school and IRC and SSH were blocked.  then andre sent me a nice PM wondering where I was and I returned shortly after smile.

Re: long lost #bsders

skiivik and alter-ego

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

I'm sort of one, because I seldom get to irc these days--during work, too busy and after work, too tired. 

However, I check the forums several times a day.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Iwould be in the same situation as scottro

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

yeah, you guys don't count.  at least you still post on the forums.

I don't really use irc anymore either.  Not to speak for every channel, but it just isn't a good medium really.  I mean I've been having problems with X, and x.org just basically ignores me.  I have asked a well thought out question in their channel about 3 times (with a couple of hours in between asking) with links to screenshots and everything, and no one cared to help me.  So I basically just gave up.  I don't know maybe there is a mailing list or something I should try.  I also had some problems with debian and their channel faq link is filled with the F word and everything.  Not that really offends me, just it isn't really professional.  #ubuntu is hopelessly lost with so much crap I can't even began to explain.  I used to take the route of "just ask on irc" but honestly I am done with that.  To use BSD or GNU/Linux you really have to know what your doing, and I admit I am no guru.  Not everyone on earth should be using BSD or GNU/Linux, I'm sorry.  I like how openbsd attitude is, we don't care if you use our stuff, but if you do use it do whatever you want with it.  I really want to learn BSD now and coding, but I'm not going to do it on my main machine.  Even debian stable has given me problems.  I mean I just installed a BASIC debian 3.1. stable install of debian, and choose the desktop option.  I had to reconfigure X to get it working right, but that was easy using debconf.  It worked for a few hours, then I rebooted for some reason (I didn't change anything or install anything new), and gnome just gives me all these errors; nautilus wouldn't start and panel wouldn't start.  And this is supposed to be stable.  I couldn't figure out my X problems on ubuntu, there channel was useless.  I want to be a hacker and figure stuff out and not just ask all the time, like my sysadmin Sasha.  He learned to admin OpenBSD just by reading man pages and stuff.  Thats what I want to do, just sit down and read some man pages.  I don't expect BSD to just work, and I want to learn.  But for example I don't want to have a car that I built from scratch from parts various different people made with no main focus, and have that be my main car that I need to take to work, etc... I want a main reliable car that I take to work, then something I hack on.  Plus if I see an opportunity with someones parts, to make something unique, I don't want to be forced to give up all my rights to that.  This is why I've grown to like BSD philosophy so much.  The GNU revolution will never happen I don't believe, but I think many revolutions have come out of bsd, and look, its still around, not going anywhere, despite what the trolls may say.  Creative commons is a failure and stupid.  Just look on archive.org, all the open source movies are like "my kids birthday party", "nasa control room footage", "random crap".  It doesn't work like software.  No one is going to be able to hack together a bunch of different footage and make a movie that looks like it has any kind of focus.  Instead you need a team of committed people with a greater focus.  I think this is what you have in the BSD community.  Richard Stallman and his followers want to take away a lot of things which my close friends enjoy (non-free games) and that really scares me.  My friends don't care to read the code of their games, and if they did want to learn coding they could learn.  Not having that game open source isn't going to reduce their ability to learn coding, just like not having all songs creative commons isn't going to reduce the ability of an artist to write their own song.  Sure when it comes down to it, all music is just music, and all code is just code, but an expert can tell the difference between the different works.  In the end I'm just really starting to hate computers, and think I'm going to do more exercise and hang out with friends and go to church and stuff instead of just sitting around thinking what OS is better and should I let richard stallman mentally rape me.  OS X and 2k was doing stuff 6 years ago that X11 is just now getting features for that is in pre-alpha.  I have used OS X and ubuntu dapper with xcomposite and xgl on the same ibook, and OS X works fine, while X11 stuff runs terribley.  Even with a lot of focus, its going to take at least a couple months for this to become stable.  X11 has so many visual artifacts, textual bleeding, window trails, etc... and yes I have the right drivers and settings installed.  OS X doesn't have any of this, and neither will vista.  In the end I have faith in both open source model, and corporate model, which is why I like BSD.  And I'm not a god-hating, religious-mocking, "liberal anarchist", paranoid like RMS and his followers.  Thanks for hearing me out guys.

Sorry for this crap, I don't have a journal/diary so I just post my rants on the internet.

smash the state in '08!

scottro wrote:

I'm sort of one, because I seldom get to irc these days--during work, too busy and after work, too tired. 

However, I check the forums several times a day.

Same here. I haven't been on irc much since I got the job few months ago.  Will try to remember to drop by sometimes. wink

Last edited by bmk1st (2006-01-08 03:09:38)

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

a hint for next time, zenlunatic: paragraphs tongue.

I don't recall him ever hanging out in #bsd, but I was reading old posts on BSDForums and noticed phessler.  he used to post there quite a bit and seemed like a cool guy.  his last post was in April of 2005 though!

to zenlunatic, use paragraphs or be forever ignored ^^

phessler was here at the beginning. newbie friendly guy big_smile

"I'm good. I'm high on the real thing.  Caffeine, nicotine, and of course, self help books."
- scottro

WIntellect wrote:

skiivik and alter-ego

they're finally back big_smile

It's very bizzar to think that if anyone we know (or did know) online were to die ... they would appear to *vanish* ... posting no more new posts and no more appearances via IRC...   yikes

-- Copyright BSDnexus

that's kind of scary, WIntellect.  there wouldn't be anyone to really inform all of my online friends if I died or something yikes.

weird!

i want milne (from bsdforums.com) to come hang out here, too.

asemisldkfj wrote:

that's kind of scary, WIntellect.  there wouldn't be anyone to really inform all of my online friends if I died or something yikes.

weird!

Exactly.  In my case bsdnexus.com ownership would expire at some point, so forums.bsdnexus.com would suddenly vanish too yikes

Now that's a scary though - I mean, look how we all coped when it vanished for a couple of days....

-- Copyright BSDnexus

please don't die on us WIntellect

or if you are planing to do somthing in that direction please make sure that this forum will live on for ever

add Nirbo to the list.

asemisldkfj wrote:

add Nirbo to the list.

Of lost #bsd-ers or people we don't want to die?

Dark_prince is another, I guess.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

How coincidental, new post in this thread when I run across this: http://dkap.info/contact.html I emailed him just now.

scottro wrote:
asemisldkfj wrote:

add Nirbo to the list.

Of lost #bsd-ers or people we don't want to die?

Dark_prince is another, I guess.

both smile.  Dark|Prince is around #bsd all the time, he just never posts on the forums.

edit: you on the other hand, scottro, are just the opposite!

dannyp wrote:

How coincidental, new post in this thread when I run across this: http://dkap.info/contact.html I emailed him just now.

weird, he mustn't have updated that site in a long time; it still says he hangs out in #bsd!

Last edited by asemisldkfj (2006-09-26 23:45:41)

yeah his blog reflects that fact.

I don't like IRC at all that's why I only visited once but I do post on the forums tongue

On irc sometimes the people is like dead there, only the same people talk ever, andre, wintellect, maxlor, me sometimes, so i think the forum post is better for them. I use both forum and irc, but lately only forum, irc sometimes when i get spare time.

i show up and bust words! but half the time noone responds...

I recently had a thougth on the subject of my death and "vanish"ment from online existence. I came up with an idea...

a monthly cron'd email. It would work in the principle of:

if ( /etc/alive.txt ); then
    rm /etc/alive.txt
else
    mail -s "Am in a crisis" trusted_friend@somewhere.com < passwords_and_system_access_info.txt
fi

It would then be my responsibility to create the /etc/alive.txt file once a month to thwart the "crisis" email. It's not perfect, but it's an idea...

andre wrote:
WIntellect wrote:

skiivik and alter-ego

they're finally back big_smile

Nope - they've gone again... for good?

-- Copyright BSDnexus