Topic: Server problems

The server that hosts forums.bsdnexus.com got some problems the night between 05 Feb and 06 Feb. We have to go to the co-location facility to check out what's wrong, and it will probably not happen this week.

Now the forums are hosted on a server in my basement, with 8/1 Mbit connection (instead of 100 Mbit on the other server). smile
I've got an up-to-date database copy thanks to MySQL-replication, but the avators are not here. Don't think I will add them from the backup, you just have to live without them for a while.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by jage (2006-02-07 18:10:13)

Re: Server problems

I can live without avatars for the time being!

Thanks for your continued kindness (server wise) and the continued efforts you make that allow these forums to be the success they are!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Re: Server problems

thanks for the info, jage.

Re: Server problems

Thanks for the info

I was getting withdrawal symptoms hmm

Re: Server problems

thanks for keeping me up on my fix jage!

Re: Server problems

Thanks for all your work--I was getting worried.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: Server problems

me too!


good to see this forum back upi again.

"I'm good. I'm high on the real thing.  Caffeine, nicotine, and of course, self help books."
- scottro

Re: Server problems

Thank god the forums are back, I was literally going batshit. If proper hosting is a problem, I am willing to offer space on my dedicated server. It's a NetBSD box currently hosting only 3 tiny sites, and has a 100Mb pipe.  If wintellect and jage want to use my server, I will exchange services for help with configuring that horribly POS postfix smile

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Re: Server problems

Some more information about the server: http://blog.jage.se/articles/2006/02/07/server-problems

10

Re: Server problems

Yes, me too..no problem, actually I was talking to WIntellect about this, we could mirror this site just in case one server goes down we still have the other site.

And yes, it's good to have the forum back,t hanks for the good work, jage

Re: Server problems

KernelPanicked wrote:

Thank god the forums are back, I was literally going batshit. If proper hosting is a problem, I am willing to offer space on my dedicated server. It's a NetBSD box currently hosting only 3 tiny sites, and has a 100Mb pipe.  If wintellect and jage want to use my server, I will exchange services for help with configuring that horribly POS postfix smile

What trouble is Postfix giving you?

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Re: Server problems

speaking of backing up... I run a forum and have been interested in a mysql backups, can someone point me in the right direction?  I have been struggling for keywords for google..

UPDATE: Found a good tutorial... http://www.howtoforge.com/mysql_database_replication

Last edited by thermite (2006-02-09 01:36:45)

Re: Server problems

WIntellect wrote:
KernelPanicked wrote:

Thank god the forums are back, I was literally going batshit. If proper hosting is a problem, I am willing to offer space on my dedicated server. It's a NetBSD box currently hosting only 3 tiny sites, and has a 100Mb pipe.  If wintellect and jage want to use my server, I will exchange services for help with configuring that horribly POS postfix smile

What trouble is Postfix giving you?

Actually I just got it fixed. smile  I was having problems with sasl auth and once I got postfix to accept that, it started authenticating but failing to relay. I just figured out that postfix has about a million and one undocumented variables and google is sometimes the only way to find them.

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

Re: Server problems

The main server probably won't be up this or even the next week... sad

Avatars are enabled now, just upload your avatar again on this server.

Re: Server problems

thanks for the work jage !

i dont see mine though sad

13.png please

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Re: Server problems

Yes, thank you jage.   I missed my avatar.  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: Server problems

What avatars? We need no stink avatars! tongue  Thanks for all your hard work, jage!

Maybe we should start a thread why we chose our avatar?

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

18

Re: Server problems

bmk1st wrote:

Maybe we should start a thread why we chose our avatar?

And you'll be the one to start it, bmk1st? tongue

Re: Server problems

BSDDomi wrote:
bmk1st wrote:

Maybe we should start a thread why we chose our avatar?

And you'll be the one to start it, bmk1st? tongue

I would if I had an avatar. big_smile

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

20

Re: Server problems

bmk1st wrote:

I would if I had an avatar. big_smile

Alright, then make that...why would anyone want to have an avatar? And we'll tell you why.. tongue

Re: Server problems

dynek wrote:

thanks for the work jage !

i dont see mine though sad

13.png please

You need to re-upload it dude  wink

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Re: Server problems

well I dont have it anymore. i resized the logo and uploaded it.
cant he get the file back from the backups ?

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Re: Server problems

dynek wrote:

well I dont have it anymore. i resized the logo and uploaded it.
cant he get the file back from the backups ?

I've created one for you - hope it's good enough

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Re: Server problems

ahhhhhhhhhhhh thank you dude smile

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Re: Server problems

I just came home from the colocation facility, the server is online now. I need some time to move things around and merge some databases, the forums might be moved back tomorrow or the day after that.

Unfortunatly our IPMI-hardware seems to be broken sad