Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

I don't want this to explode into a big argument, but suffice to say that the use of the word gay in a derogatory way and the stereotypical portrayal of American Indians in sports teams' logos are both pretty offensive to lots of people, and to not take this into consideration is, to put it bluntly, pretty shitty.

I completely agree that tons of people are way oversensitive to stuff, and this annoys the hell out of me.  However, when it comes to sexual orientation or race or anything of that nature really, there's not a lot of middle ground or room for negotiation for me.

But hey, I'm from Massachusetts tongue.

Last edited by asemisldkfj (2006-04-07 09:34:18)

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

Yes and I'm from NYC, and both of us (asem and I) are exposed to a very very wide diversity of people, races and sexual orientation. 

Granted, it can get ridiculous--I remember a Murphy Brown episode where a bunch of different groups are together, and wind up insulting each other--the blind (visually challenged) person telling the dwarf (vertically challenged) person, "Shut up you little shrimp."  Then someone else shouting to the Polish person, "Hey ya hear about the Polish gay guy?  He dated women."  (In the US, another stereotype is that Poles are stupid--err, should that be conceptually challenged?) 

Yes, it can go too far, and like asem, I don't want to make an issue of it, but there are some things that go a bit too far, and honestly, I think that using gay as a term meaning stupid is silly.  It could also mean happy.  smile

(me hums to himeself, "I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy")

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

28

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

scottro wrote:

(me hums to himeself, "I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy")

A song from the wonderful musical "West Side Story"... tongue - When I was in NYC for the first time, back in 1994, we went on a bus sightseeing trip through NYC and area and they showed us where the musical was shot...

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

I live in that general area, known as Hell's Kitchen.  However, it's becoming gentrified, and we can't really afford it anymore, but we can't afford to move.

A girl in the building was on the European tour of the musical last year--she just played one of the Puerto Rican dancers. 

When I was a kid, and the movie first came out, it was cool to walk around like a Jet in tshirt and sneakers.  smile

Actually, one of my ballet instructors was Chita Rivera's understudy in the Broadway production. 

Sigh, talk about fame by association. 

I lived there around 1994--how come you didn't wave to me?  (If I did and I simply didn't see you,  I apologize. )   smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

scottro wrote:

Here in the US, especially in the NYC area, it's considered REALLY politically incorrect to use "gay" to mean foolish.

I was chillin and driving with my gay friend Benji and I slammed metaphorical gay insults on some jackass drivers who happened to be women, and fobby asian ones at that. He wasn't pissed, in fact he enjoyed it because it takes away from the stigma surrounding the initial concept to sort of ambiguate the meaning. Similar to the way attempts by black people call eachother niggas to detract from the stigma that was associated with the more oppressive term. In both cases there are much more specific terms for the specific types of people that primarily only people with a sensitivity for the concepts have knowledge of. Example being different gay derivative terms like queens, pocket boys, tops, sugar daddies, etc. All in all, being pc is important if you don't want to get into the specifics of a subculture. If you do want to know, similar to getting involved in a specific genre of music, you will learn how to differentiate between what most people consider lumped together. Think of how X genre "all sounds the same", same concept.

scottro wrote:

To digress even further.  Years ago, the cliche was, "I'm not prejudiced. Some of my best friends are black."  It is a cliche and makes the speaker look foolish (note I use the word foolish, not gay.)  smile

I just heard someone say this line two weeks ago to my black friend Jonnyba. This [asian] girl #1 from arizona approached her talking about how she's cool with black people, and her self justification of this fact was that her best friend is black. This seems to be self talk that's appropriated aloud -- what the heck do you say to someone who says something of this sort to you? Girl #2 approaches, who happened to be friends with girl #1 and asks Jonnyba how she deals with her hair and such, but then she launches into how she's down with black people because she grew up in the ghetto and she mentions somewhere in arizona which is hilarious. At any rate the cliche's are just funny and makes the cliche sayer sound very distant and not 'in the know'. There is so much more that can be intrinsically understood about the relationship of people if they both act with their identity and try to be perceptive.

lucas wrote:

i'll have to use "greek style" at my next opportunity.  "wanna rock it greek style?" sounds so much better than "mind if i punch it into your anus?"

ahahahha
sizzlin' sodomy special, anal fornication fiesta yikes anyone can try the fun, who doesn't have a bum?

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

asemisldkfj wrote:

But hey, I'm from Massachusetts tongue.

I KNOW !

BTW,  don't you think Mass is being hypocritical by saying only their gays can get married in their state?  Why not go all out, and create a gay Mecca.

If that ain't a loaded statement, I don't know what is smile

(stirring...)

Last edited by perlfan (2006-04-07 19:29:28)

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

perlfan wrote:
asemisldkfj wrote:

But hey, I'm from Massachusetts tongue.

I KNOW !

BTW,  don't you think Mass is being hypocritical by saying only their gays can get married in their state?  Why not go all out, and create a gay Mecca.

If that ain't a loaded statement, I don't know what is smile

(stirring...)

I'm not entirely sure what the reasons behind this were, but I suspect it was to not piss off other states too much.  I'd be all for it though.

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

I use the word "gay" a lot. I use it to describe lame things.

Example: "Perlfan likes perl? Oh thats just gay!"

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."