Topic: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

I cant really tell

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

Watercooler
Here's where you meet people and talk about people. Social posts go here.

Off-Topic
Sure it doesn't fit anywhere else? Then place it here

Is that not clear?

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

What exactly is a SOCIAL POST, from my understanding social meaning a chance to use language to talk to eachother, isnt each section full of social posts?

And I have been here for just about a year, I think I have read those tiny descriptions before, so NO, its not that clear to me

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

scuzzo wrote:

What exactly is a SOCIAL POST, from my understanding social meaning a chance to use language to talk to eachother, isnt each section full of social posts?

And I have been here for just about a year, I think I have read those tiny descriptions before, so NO, its not that clear to me

That's because you are an idiot. Stop wasting our bandwidth.

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

lol Sorry scuzzo!

Well i think that a forum is for social post, not matters the kind! if it is a technical forum or one for the guys looking for girls!, is for social post both. For me watercooler is to talk about other topics, no topics about unix, bsd or computers. The Off-topic section is for anything else that i can't catalog in any other place, but actually i think that all the post have an entry on some of the other sections, maybe you think off-topic is not useful. If your point of view is that, maybe you're right.

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

That makes more sense veotaku, off topic for all stuff non bsd, like more of "hey did you see the new samsung LCD" and water cooler for "help me cope with nerds like spyretto in life"

off topic for tech
watercooler is like offtopic minus tech

yoshta

Last edited by scuzzo (2006-02-10 22:15:48)

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

That pretty much hits the nail on the head, scuzzo.

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

scuzzo wrote:

That makes more sense veotaku, off topic for all stuff non bsd, like more of "hey did you see the new samsung LCD" and water cooler for "help me cope with nerds like spyretto in life"

off topic for tech
watercooler is like offtopic minus tech

yoshta

I was pretty sure you needed help to cope with me wink

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

spyretto quit it

smash the state in '08!

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

zenlunatic wrote:

spyretto quit it

pardon a stupid question, but what was wrong with his post?

"I'm good. I'm high on the real thing.  Caffeine, nicotine, and of course, self help books."
- scottro

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

illiterate wrote:

what was wrong with his post?

personal attacks

smash the state in '08!

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

oh, i thought he and spyretto were jokin..

"I'm good. I'm high on the real thing.  Caffeine, nicotine, and of course, self help books."
- scottro

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

We are joking. It's really "gay" to insult someone for serious over the wire and 10000 miles away.

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

To take this even further off topic....

Here in the US, especially in the NYC area, it's considered REALLY politically incorrect to use "gay" to mean foolish.

To digress even further.  Years ago, the cliche was, "I'm not prejudiced. Some of my best friends are black."  It is a cliche and makes the speaker look foolish (note I use the word foolish, not gay.)  smile

However, in my case, it's true.  My wife is a dance teacher, and the cliches about many male dancers being gay have a lot of basis in fact.  So, while I hate to be overly politically correct, in this case, I do think it's a word we should avoid using to refer to stupidity or foolishness. 

Spyretto, that's not really aimed at you save for the fact that you used the term here, I've heard many many people use it on irc, mailing lists and the like.  However, I do think it's one that should be avoided if possible. 

Gosh, I feel so ~old~ sometimes, lecturing you young 'uns. 

Maybe I'm just venting as my 77 year old mother bawled me out yesterday, and I suspect most of us, when our parents bawl us out, start feeling like we're five years old and resent that feeling.

Speaking of this, as I type, I hear my gay neighbor's 5 and 7 year old sons brawling again.  smile  (He only went gay later and the kids stay with him on the weekends)

TMI, I suppose.  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

The principal reason of this mess is to know what to do with these sections, well i

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

scottro wrote:

However, in my case, it's true.  My wife is a dance teacher, and the cliches about many male dancers being gay have a lot of basis in fact.

i took a hip hop dance class, and the four guys that were in it weren't gay. neither am i. and all of the girls i know thing that my taking a dance class was hot.

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

Sorry, it was sort of mental shorthand.  I was referring, more or less, to ballet. 

This is not to say all male ballet dancers are gay, of course--Baryshnikov was (is?) quite a male slut as far as the women go.  However, a great many male ballet and jazz (as in Broadway) dancers in NY are gay.  More than half?  I have no idea.  Nuryev is one of the more famous examples, and tragically, died of AIDS.

I've taken ballet classes, trying to help my karate--at the time I was single and my first thought, upon seeing my fellow students, was, Wow, 90 percent women and the other guys here aren't interested in them. 

At any rate, the point wasn't to say if you dance, (even if it's ballet) that you are gay, it was pointing out that there are a great many gay male dancers, and as my wife is heavily involved in the profession, many of them are my good friends.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

lucas wrote:
scottro wrote:

However, in my case, it's true.  My wife is a dance teacher, and the cliches about many male dancers being gay have a lot of basis in fact.

i took a hip hop dance class, and the four guys that were in it weren't gay. neither am i.

that's only what you THINK...





wink

"I'm good. I'm high on the real thing.  Caffeine, nicotine, and of course, self help books."
- scottro

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

When I said "gay" I meant it" in the South Park way and I wasn't reffering to homosexuality smile

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

Right, we realize that.  My original post on this was to say that it really can be offensive to some people to use it that way.  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

WIntellect wrote:

Watercooler
Here's where you meet people and talk about people. Social posts go here.

Off-Topic
Sure it doesn't fit anywhere else? Then place it here

Is that not clear?

so clear, that off topic has the following threads that are not related to techonology:

Im quitting smoking... slowly... by karpet  [ New posts ]

avatar by perlfan  [ New posts ]

So, I took my bicycle out for a ride today! by karpet  [ New posts ]

the military is so secret by zenlunatic  [ 1 2 ]

can you write in cursive? by zenlunatic  [ 1 2 ]

Do those "special" teas actually work? by zenlunatic

What if I'm bored at work by dynek  [ New posts ]

and so on...

For example, Linux had at least two completely independent USB stacks before Linus Torvalds rejected them both and wrote a third one from scratch, after he found both existent Linux  stacks unsatisfactory.  (When pressed for an explanation as to why he selected the API he did, Torvalds stated: "because I wanted to."

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

maple wrote:
scottro wrote:

Right, we realize that.  My original post on this was to say that it really can be offensive to some people to use it that way.  smile

I use the word "gay" to refer to something that sucks. Since "gay" people do "suck", I think its perfectly ok.  If it is still offensive, may I recommend substituting the word "gay" with the word "french". It seems to replace it perfectly.

smile jk.

.maple.

you know, I was thinking the same way, only i'd use american instead.. same shit different name

wink

"I'm good. I'm high on the real thing.  Caffeine, nicotine, and of course, self help books."
- scottro

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

Heh, I give up.  I will mention, however, that many Americans suspect most Greeks of being gay and in NY at least, greek style refers to anal sex, usually between two men.

Of course, here, so many gays are body builders and martial artists, that comedians have started joking about it.  "Yeah, he must be gay--he can bench 300 pounds."

Or meeting your boss' son and using flattery (err, this is a comic routine, it hasn't yet gotten to this point).

Whoah, you have broad shoulders.  You're built like a gay guy.

At any rate, whatever, as Maxlor says, people waste their emotions on trivial things.  I guess it's just young 'uns slang, and I try not to sound like my parents.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

i'll have to use "greek style" at my next opportunity.  "wanna rock it greek style?" sounds so much better than "mind if i punch it into your anus?"

Re: whats the difference b/w watercooler and off topic

spyretto wrote:

When I said "gay" I meant it" in the South Park way and I wasn't reffering to homosexuality smile

So are they saying Tom Cruise is gay when they tell him to 'come out of the closet' cause everyone knows he is in the closet?

FWIW, I see it this way:

not quite right -> queer (not homo, but as in a $3 bill) -> gay

If someone finds it offensive, then they probably think "Washington Redskins" is racist or prefer the term "handi-capable" over retarded.

Fight the power, there is no right in this country to not be offended smile

Last edited by perlfan (2006-04-07 05:40:12)

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)