Topic: qpopper password retrieval

I have a qpopper pop3 server with a number of email accounts that I created. I forgot one of the accounts passwords, does anyone know how to retrieve a user password? Or I'm I just going to have to set a new password for that account?

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Re: qpopper password retrieval

go for the new password dude smile

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

I did....

Although I'd like to write a web interface to my webserver that would allow password recovery....

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Use wpop3d instead with virtual users wink

(yep... that was a poor plug for my own code... still, it was a plug tongue)

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

If you can retrieve a lost password then security cannot be called that way anymore.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

WIntellect wrote:

Use wpop3d instead with virtual users wink

(yep... that was a poor plug for my own code... still, it was a plug tongue)

I'll give it a look. I just switch the entire server over to Qmail yesterday, so it still not to late to change my mind.

-Nietzsche

dynek wrote:

If you can retrieve a lost password then security cannot be called that way anymore.

I'd have to disagree as long as there is a way to authenticate the users identity.

-Nietzsche

Are you kidding dude ?

You think your system knows your user password in clear ?
It just encodes the password your enter and then compares it to the password stored in the database.

It will never (except if you choose to use clear text passwords) be able to decode the password that is in the database.