Topic: Police Arrest Expert Linux Developer, Search For Missing Wife

Oakland, Calif. police arrested Hans Reiser

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Re: Police Arrest Expert Linux Developer, Search For Missing Wife

Fairly old news.  smile 

Interestingly enough, Novell, though they claim there is no connection is stopping their default of reiserfs for a default of ext3.  I think some others might be following suit.  It's a shame for many reasons, the possible ending of reiserfs being the least of them of course.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

I've always campaigned against ReiserFS in our district, preferring SGI's XFS.  There are a couple of techs that are gung-ho ReiserFS fans, and no matter how much data you throw at them showing its bad spots, poor performance, data loss, etc ... they just keep throwing it on servers.

Luckily, I've brought most of the techs around to the ways of the XFS.  smile  There's only two left, and this should be the final straw for them.  big_smile  Long live the X!

Advantage phoenix!

Keep Smiling

Maxlor showed me a set of slides on zfs the other day...

ZFS Rocks!!!! Can't wait to see it on the BSDs!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

WIntellect wrote:

Maxlor showed me a set of slides on zfs the other day...

ZFS Rocks!!!! Can't wait to see it on the BSDs!

No more wait, it's here!

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free … 65306.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free … 66650.html (scroll down to "Porting ZFS to FreeBSD")

Yeah, I know this isn't kinda new (except the second url), but I just found out today. :-)

How long do you think it's until we can use it normaly?

Wow this ZFS file system looks impresive! Wintellect do you know about comparison between ZFS and XFS? i would like see that.

You can't really compare ZFS to any other filesystem, as ZFS is a lot more than just a filesytem.  It's a volume manager, a RAID system, a snapshots system, and more.

ZFS is more along the lines of VINUM or LVM, but with a custom filesystem sitting on top.

What's really neat, is that Pawel has ported enough of ZFS over to FreeBSD that you can do neat things like run UFS on top of ZVol and get volume management and other nifty things ... while still using UFS.

In theory, once ZFS is ported to Linux (or full XFS support is enabled in FreeBSD), you could run XFS on top of ZFS and get the best of both.  smile

Interesting this zfs have great posibilities.