Topic: NetBSD Live! 2007 Released

The NetBSD project has released a live CD with automatic hardware detection and an option to boot into KDE. Called NetBSD Live! 2007, the CD image is available for the i386 platform: "This CD-ROM contains a specially constructed version of NetBSD 4.0_BETA sporting a modified kernel based on NetBSD-CURRENT. Booting is done using an adapted version of the GRUB boot loader. The CD contains the following software packages in addition to the base operating system files: XFree86, KDE 3.4.5 with multiple language sets; joe and kvim text editors; AbiWord word processor, Dia 0.9.4 flow-charting and diagramming application, Inkscape 0.4.2 vector graphic application; The GIMP 2.2; Firefox web browser, and more." See the release notes for more information.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03841#0

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Re: NetBSD Live! 2007 Released

NetBSD doesn't have an official Live CD as part of the project, but there are several ones from 3rd parties. J

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Screenshot Walkthroughs

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensour … ?q=node/35

Why do people *always* use KDE on a LiveCD? What's wrong with another WM?

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

KDE on a live Cd is hell, it really is, it is *way* too heavy on resources and it makes the cd have to work harder sad

Running FreeBSD on amd64 (athlon64 3000+, 512mb RAM, 160gb HD, Asus motherboard, 450w PSU and ATI radeon 9700)

IMO, live CD's are aimed at new people who want to give NetBSD a try and an M$'ish desktop environment is better than a lighter one like flux for that purpose. After they get used to the env, they can choose whatever they like. Expanding the userbase, thats the aim IMO. Yeah, I agree that KDE is sluggish when on a live CD.

Last edited by arun (2006-11-15 06:17:17)

Keep Smiling

KDE is sluggish even when not on a live CD.

I have to agree with maple. Other WM can be played with to look _very_ nice. Why not make something different.

NetBSD is different but they make it look the same as other systems.

Maybe some one of us should choose a WM, create a theme, tweak the configuration files and send it to the Live CD! team smile

dynek wrote:

Maybe some one of us should choose a WM, create a theme, tweak the configuration files and send it to the Live CD! team smile

I like this idea!

I'm also voting for PekWM  tongue

-- Copyright BSDnexus

You're also voting for PekWM. Who voted for it ? tongue

WIntellect wrote:
dynek wrote:

I like this idea!

What makes you think PekWM is better choice?  Not wanting to start another WM flame war. tongue

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

I think some of the Linux Distros, like DamnSmallLinux, will offer live CDs with lighter WM's.  I think DSL offers fluxbox, though I could be mistaken.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

bmk1st wrote:
WIntellect wrote:
dynek wrote:

I like this idea!

What makes you think PekWM is better choice?  Not wanting to start another WM flame war. tongue

'cos I love it, it's minimal and has theme support wink

-- Copyright BSDnexus

WIntellect wrote:
bmk1st wrote:
WIntellect wrote:

I like this idea!

'cos I love it, it's minimal and has theme support wink

I think that we can also try wmii as a lightweight gui...

no more pain...

Posts [ 13 ]

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply