Topic: psearch hits the big time (well, sort of)

Folks might remember Maxlor's psearch. I was running through some PCBSD forum posts and Lo! and Behold! I see them mentioning it. 

Maxlor, if you see this, I'm having trouble using it with the git repository. (I replaced my ports tree with the git ports tree to play with upgrading xorg to version 7.1)

I haven't had any time to even try to look into it (I took a quick glance at the lines that were giving me error messages, but my python knowledge consists of knowing that they kill by suffocating their prey).

When I get to it, should we discuss it privately, or do you think it would be of interest to these forums. 

(Errm, do you still maintain it by the way, or was it simply something you wrote for fun and don't bother with anymore?)

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Re: psearch hits the big time (well, sort of)

Yes, I intend to still maintain it. So far, I haven't received any bug reports though smile .

As for discussing it

No, that bug report will be from me, when I have time to give you an intelligent one.  For now,

Errm, it didn't work when I changed ports to the git respository, I got some kind of error message about some line or another or maybe two.   smile

Really, that's all the info I can give you right now.  Work's been crazed, and as I soon as I get a chance to breathe, I'll give a better one.  I'm hoping that it's something very simple in the lines marked as error, that I simply missed as I don't know python.

Also, the PCBSD post just had a link to someone who had what seems to be an older version on his site. (With all copyrights and such intact, fear not.)  Do you have a site where you post that program?  The link in the program simply goes to a more generic web site (that's in German so Ich kann nicht lebe--liebe?  lese, yeah, that's it, lese.)  (I'm trying to say I can't read it, not that I don't like it.)  smile

Well, first, I don't really know what

Maxlor, I didn't realize it is now a port.  CONGRATULATIONS!!.

That's very cool.

The git program is perhaps similar to bitkeeper, basically a subversion, cvs type thing.  The folks who are working on the xorg port, that is, updating it to xorg-7, are using a git repository for ports.

The update is that one of the folks on the x11-freebsd@ list mentioned simply doing a make index once the git ports repository has been put in.  I had only done make fetchindex.   Doing make index fixed the problem.

Now, port it to NetBSD.  smile

I'm glad it's been put into the ports.  I find it very useful.

Heh, no need to congratulate me, after all it was me who added it to the ports smile Didn't feel like manually downloading the thing on all my systems smile

As for NetBSD

I'm sure it does--sorry, I've been buried at work, and at home, busy breaking and fixing my machine.

Interestingly enough, as I said, doing make index fixed psearch, at least on PRE-RELEASE (with the git repository ports tree.)  Then, I did it on a CURRENT machine and apparently, there might be a problem with the tree as I had duplicate entry warnings.

With that, psearch wouldn't work.  However, as I've said, I hadn't realized there was a port.  I removed my older version (0.99) and installed the 1.0 version from the ports.

This one worked perfectly. Once again, my congrats on the program, as well as thanks for writing it.