Topic: Which private subnet do you use?

I use 10.0.0.x for my wireless network and 10.0.1.x for wired.  I like 10.0.x.x because it is much shorter and nicer-looking than 192.168.x.x, which is what I was used to before I set up my own router.

which do you use?

Last edited by asemisldkfj (2007-01-20 05:42:26)

Re: Which private subnet do you use?

Erm I use 192.168 and 172.16 for my two home networks. If I try to use 10.0.0.0 it screws with my VPN connection to work.

... and then they said "I bet you can't make MINIX kernel panic!!!" And that's when I got mad

weird, I didn't think anyone in the world used 172.!

Same here, 10.0.*.*, mostly because it's the fastest to type. I don't get why so many people choose 192.168.*.* either.

I use 192.168.*.* because when I started learning to setup a home network in '97 for some reason 10.0.*.* didn't work for me - I think it had more to do with setting up a bsd firewall/nat router -  but I got it working with 192.168.*.* and I have just kept using that...

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

192.168.*.* for me too  tongue

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

192.168.*.* for me.  Default on the DLink router/WAP.

May Science bless you.

192.168* for me aswell

Is the subnet a issue with what router you have than personal preference?

I'm on 10.0.*.* and 192.168.*.*

10.0.*.* beacuse I oftenly misspell the other tongue

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

Is the subnet a issue with what router you have than personal preference?

it depends if your router gives you a choice or not.  most routers from Linksys and Netgear and those companies just have 192.168.1.x as the default and you can't change it.  I'm not sure about the higher-end ones.

if you set up your own router using OpenBSD or something, it's entirely up to you to choose a subnet.

One of the subnets in the 172.16/20 range.  Mainly because it's so rarely used.  smile  And we use 192.168/16 and 10/8 at work for everything, so wanted something different.

10.*

Fast to type (10.1 = 10.0.0.1 big_smile), different, cute and good looking.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue