Topic: Handing in your month's notice, and having fun doing it

Imagine you're in the following situation:

You work at this company, but you hate it. The people around you, including your bosses, are incompetent, and they can't take even the most constructive criticism. You're not particularly well paid either, but you do get to do work for two. In other words, you hate this place.

And now you finally found a new job, and you therefore get to quit the old one next monday. How would you hand in your notice of termination? It should be as much fun as possible (for you, anyway), but of course it should also avoid any opportunities for lawsuits because of sabotage, sexual harassment, the like. Getting the boss to release you from work immediately would be a bonus (because then he'd still have to pay you for two more months), but of course you shouldn't give him enough reason to terminate you immediately without notice.

So, be creative!

Re: Handing in your month's notice, and having fun doing it

Play it straight.  You gain nothing by "having fun" (other than the fun, of course) but there is a lot to lose.  I would imagine Swiss laws are a lot different than the ones here, and you may be better protected than we are in the US, but I would not give any opportunity for anything other than a good recommendation in the future (or at least not a bad one).  You might be amazed how long these things stay with you.  My wife is a recruiter, and some of the stories I hear...

That said, I had fun firing a client once.  They were terrible, and I had had enough.  We had the usual squabble about returning materials, getting paid and so forth.  So I came in one last time to get everything taken care of.

My neighbor had just inherited a Rolls-Royce upon his sister's passing away.  So I had him drive me down, with me in the back seat.  He of course wore a small driver's cap.  When we arrived at the company, he came around and opened the door for me, and waited with folded arms while leaning on the front fender.

"Who is that?" inquired the (former) employer.  "My driver."  "No, really, who is that?"  "My driver.  I work because I want to, and not because I have to."  I got paid promptly, and left.

I think the Rolls helped to convince them that I was not worth messing with, and simply wanted to get rid of me.

Within one year, the company moved to Southern Califronia, and folded.  What a mess they were.

haha, that's awesome DrJ.

I guess the two older Americans are in agreement.  It reminds me of a great line I once heard about breaking up with someone, or making that last angry phone call to the one who dumped you.

In the short term, it might feel good to call someone and yell at them.
But in the long run, you will have wished that you had not given them
that much credit for ruining your life.  Or even your day.

Also, when you vent your anger on them, and pay them back, so to speak, you're giving them power over you.   The less you care, the less power they have, and that is when you can find yourself feeling no need to hurt them, and indeed, trying to save their feelings--not because you care about them, but simply because it gives you no pleasure to hurt them, so you might as well be nice. 

I hope that's clear--I believe you're the one who had the sig for awhile (or who was quoted in someone else's sig) about giving too much power to the emotions. 

So, just do it as politely as possible, say you're sorry to be leaving, but you have an offer that you can't refuse--as if you're breaking up with a girl that you no longer care about--for then, they have really lost their power over you.  When you're looking to hurt them, you're actually enabling them.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

very well-said, scottro.  I couldn't agree more.

and that was my sig that had Maxlor's quote in it smile.

I believe it was "people waste their emotions on trivial things," or something to that extent.  sorry for misquoting you if I did, Maxlor!

Ah, that was it.  (Or very close to it.)

So Maxlor, that's my point.  Someone who annoys you, especially since, now that you have a new job, has no power over you, is a trivial thing. 

Maybe because it's late at night, I feel profound.  Perhaps, when someone at work sees how you leave without feeling the need to pay them back in kind, they will, somewhere down the road, remember how they respected you for that, and not hurt someone that they might have otherwise hurt.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Without trying to sound profound, there is an expression in my business (biotechnology) that "everyone drinks at the same bar."  Those who are in your field know everyone else.  You sound like you are not far along in your career yet, but you never know how your career or those in the (soon-to-be) former company will progress.  If you build a reputation for integrity, you can count on favors from people that you treated well in the past.  You would do the same for them, of course, but that is the point.

Do the right thing.

Be cool Max. Later, if nobody wants you and you need a job you can still go back to the stupid company.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

I think it best to leave a company fairly and on good terms. Regardless of how bad a company they may be, they gave you a job, kept you busy with experience, and paid you.

What kind of a person would it make you out to be if you treated them badly simply 'cos you had another job lined up? You owe them an official notice and working the notice.

And, as it's already been said - you never know what may come of your leaving the company; what stories might be shared, etc. It may one day come back and bite you in the butt! It would be far better to leave correctly, leave them with good thoughts of you and a recommendation

JMHO  wink

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

I agree with all of them smile

Leave a good trail, there is a small possibility that the manager at your current job may know the manager of your new job, you want to be known as a GEEK that gets on with his work, than a GEEK that cares just for himself, even if the environment is undesirable. I have been in situations like that, admittedly this  was not work i chose, just temp work to get money, i just bit my tongue and did the job, ignored the people i could not stand.
I would just write a simple formal letter of resignation, something along the lines that i have found a opportunity that i feel will advance my career and that i wish all the company the very best for the future.
Don't rattle on too long, otherwise there may become all mushy wink

How long notice are you meant to give your present job, do not if you can help it leave before the time you meant to let them know, that does look like you hate there guts if you do leave before.

Hah, I love the Rolls Royce bit. Now, first, it's not me who's quitting a job (hey, I don't even have one

I thought this was for you.  Seems not, but the advice is still the same.

Maxlor wrote:

the first non-trivial issue that comes up will be a big problem for them

Companies always survive the loss of any person.  No one is indispensable.  A lot of us always think that, but it is just not true. 

For example, in a former life, I was the Vice President of R&D for a small company, I ran the business day-to-day, managed all the people, set the research course, designed all the experiments and interpreted the results, handled the patent portfolio, and thought I was indispensable.  I ran afoul with a consultant who was the father of my partner, and I was fired.  Hey, it happens.  I was replaced, and the company continued on just fine.  They failed for other reasons.

I have to agree with most of the people. It's true that having fun with this people is good at this point, but things may go bad and you may regreting doing or saying sth to them.
Anyway that doesn't prohibit you from going to your boss and saying : " Did you learn the news ?............ I quit! And I quit because of this, that, and the other reason". Nice and clean. You'll never know. They may even reallize what jerks they were and may do a better offer to you

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

spyretto wrote:

They may even reallize what jerks they were and may do a better offer to you

You should never take a counter-offer from your existing employer.  The promises are almost never fulfilled, and once they have kept you and you have turned down the other offer, things go back to the way they always have been.  Either decide to leave and go, or work to improve things where you are.

The only exception these days is in academia: the only way professors can get anything (raises, more lab space, an endowed chair, whatever) is to have another offer on the table.  Short of that, most Universities just don't do anything for professors, not even cost-of-living increases. 

It is a terrible way to do business, but I've found that most universities are not that well run, and their employment practices make industry look positively enlightened.

Last edited by DrJ (2007-02-07 20:03:05)

It worked for me.

Guru for a day, newbie for a lifetime

Congratulations!  That is by far the exception.

I just left my previous job because they were yanking me around - I left for a rival employer (if that is possible to have on the same campus wink.  I still have to work for them, but for me it was easy to leave - I even had the gaul to tell them that it was not for the money and that there was nothing they could offer me to stay.  w00t!

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

I believe I left my second job with a viciously loud "F*** THIS S***.  I'M DONE."  Though I'm sure there was much more swearing.

May Science bless you.