Re: vii - zero conf, commandline blog tool

I haven't used this yet, perlfan, but it sounds really neat.  just thought you'd like to know smile.

I think I _will_ use it as soon as I start blogging again ^^

I like it, Some comments:

- The page doesn't scale very well, for example, your latest weblog entry (the coolest command in the world) is to wide for my screen resulting in a horizontal scollbar.
This is because the whole message body is a <pre> block.
You should use a <div> or <p> block, and write proper line breaks (<br />), you can ofcourse use sed for this.
Also, you forgot the closing </pre> tag

- What do the numbers in the message index mean (before the message subject?)

- You should mention your date format.
Why?
Well, in Europe most people write a date as Day-Month-Year, in the UK and US most people write it as Month-Day-Year, (This is because it's pronounced diffent)
It not always obvious which format is used, for example, is 06/02/2007 Feb 6th 2007 or Jun 2nd 2007..?

- Using "border: thin black solid;" in CSS is a bad idea, this is because "thin" looks uber-ugly in Internet Explorer, (it looks like 3px or 4px, not exactly "thin") use 1px instead

- Using absolute font sizes (ie font-size: 10pt;) in CSS is a bad idea, a relative value (ie 120% or 1.2em) are relative to the user's font size setting in his browser, absolute values are not.

- Links are black and not underlined
You should really keep them blue and underlined (when apearing in text anyway), users often miss links which are not blue and underlined

- You use a stylesheet, but at the same time a lot of presentation is in the HTML file (ie <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF"> and <table cellpadding="10">)
You should use CSS for all presentational effects, it will make your program easier to manage, and easier for users to make their own style sheets.

- Consider using <div> elements instead of a table for your page layout.
It is often easyer to manage, and works better with text browsers and screen readers.

- <input> doesn't have a closing tag, write it as <input name="foobar" type="text />(and not <input [..]></input>)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Thanks, CS.  Your comments about CSS are well taken, I definitely need to tweak those things.  However, they are my doing not a part of vii necessarily.  The numbers and date are, but can be easily tweaked.  Now that I have things structured more nicely in the code, I may go through and rethink the default formatting.  I personally like the fixed font look, but I don't know if I should include that by default.  If anyone is interested in providing me a "default" layout I'd be happy to use it in someway - my html and css skills are very weak these days.

The number on the left is simply the unix time in seconds.  The date format on the right can be tweaked - I might make it day-month-year by default because I actually like that format better.

Good comments!

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)

asemisldkfj wrote:

I haven't used this yet, perlfan, but it sounds really neat.  just thought you'd like to know smile.

Thanks, guys smile.

http://www.0x743.com/vee (the program formerly known as vii)