Topic: BSD + Adobe Flash News Item

I just got this on the advocacy email list:

While Adobe hasn't agreed to port Flash to FreeBSD (yet!), they have agreed to re-distribution of the Flash player. I obtained 2 separate re-distribution agreements, one for PC-BSD and one for the FreeBSD Foundation.

The lead Flash Product Manager at Adobe, Emmy Huang, who is also a strong open source advocate, was a great help to me getting this far and she will be blogging about this shortly.

In the meantime, here's the very simple press release for PC-BSD/Flash:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/04/prweb519843.htm

I won't give up on a native port, but I'm not holding my breathe either.
Hopefully, now that we've got the right contacts at Adobe, it will be easier to pursue the port.

The more people that can pick this news up in their blogs, the better.
Also, if someone can post it to the News section of the FreeBSD site, great!

-matt

--
Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source"  http://www.iXsystems.com
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project         http://www.FreeBSD.org
BSD on the Desktop!                             http://www.pcbsd.org
Phone: (408)943-4100 ext. 113                     Fax: (408)943-4101

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Re: BSD + Adobe Flash News Item

>While Adobe hasn't agreed to port Flash to FreeBSD (yet!), they have agreed to re-distribution of the Flash player. I obtained 2 separate re-distribution agreements, one for PC-BSD and one for the FreeBSD Foundation.

Tell them about RealMedia they can do it too, without losing anything of their precious closed-source application.

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/netchild/20 … r-freebsd/

So what's the problem with Adobe/Macromedia? I don't know it, they wouldn't lose a single bit of their time while granting some able developers with nda access to their code.

Don't see this as trollish post, but what's the point in distributing some player? I can install it within seconds, the problem is Adobes non-support for  Flash 9 at FreeBSD and Adobes stubborn attitude.

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

Well to be honest, I don't care for either one. I use Flash if I have to, but I never use Realplayer. I was just passing along the news. I think it's a good thing. At least it gets FreeBSD into the Adobe Vocabulary. You never know, this add a point or two to the possibility of a native Acrobat Reader.

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

>I think it's a good thing

Indeed at least Flash is important for the Desktop.

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

so does flash 9 work properly ?

It didn't for me, using nspluginwrapper.  It would freeze part way into downloading the file.

I got it working on linux-opera, but sans sound.  I couldn't even get sound on ArchLinux in qemu with it, though on a box running Arch natively, I was able to get sound.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

scottro wrote:

I got it working on linux-opera, but sans sound.  I couldn't even get sound on ArchLinux in qemu with it, though on a box running Arch natively, I was able to get sound.

I had the same experience.

Yeah Flash 9 is Alsa, so there it seems there isn't any suitable emulation of this or wrapper for OSS.

F!XMBR

I always seem to be the one who gets different results.  Sound in Flash 9 worked fine for me, and was coordinated much better with the video than Flash 7.  Until, that is, the connection was severed  a short while into the few flash videos I tried.

A/V sync was the big problem with Flash7 in Linux. Flash9 was almost perfect in FreeBSD, with sound and video. Don't know what happened.

F!XMBR

Ah, interesting.  Using nspluginwrapper, I have it working, with sound, in native firefox.  However, in linux-opera, it's not working with sound.  I'm not even sure where I'd start looking to fix it.

On NetBSD, nspluginwrapper works with Flash 9 on native built firefox

I'm happy

big_smile

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

>On NetBSD, nspluginwrapper works with Flash 9 on native built firefox

With sound and somewhat stable too?

F!XMBR

Although I had it working with firefox, like Drj (or is it fmj on these forums, I get confused, but he knows who he is) it would not work very well.  For instance, youtube would give sound but no video.

http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Someone should update swfdec in ports, it supports youtube.

F!XMBR

Oliver wrote:

>On NetBSD, nspluginwrapper works with Flash 9 on native built firefox

With sound and somewhat stable too?

Haven't done "heavy" testing yet, but it seems to work rather well with sound too!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus