Topic: OpenSoundSystem under the GPL

OSS from 4front will be opensource under the GPL in the next week.

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread. … p;tstart=0

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

Re: OpenSoundSystem under the GPL

at least that will ease the development of more sound cards under the bsds

As Dev Mazumdar said,

For the BSD folks, OSS is going to be GPLv2 + Additional rights (namely linking GPL drivers with BSD kernel ). If it's a problem we'll be happy to discuss licensing.

The main thing is that we want people to be comfortable contributing patches and code and not feel like their work is being misappropriated.

and if I compare it, OSS sounds superior

http://wiki.freebsd.org/soundsystem

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

I take this as good news -- *any* multimedia support is great -- but I have not noticed much difference in sound quality with the various multimedia frameworks I have tried on my computer.  The limiting thing has always been the speakers, which while very good for computer speakers, are pretty lousy compared with my electrostatics used in my stereo.

How much difference does this make in "real life" as far as sound quality goes?

Of course, if the ALSA emulation works well, that's a big plus.

DrJ

>How much difference does this make in "real life" as far as sound quality goes?

Imo are drivers of 4front OSS better than those in FreeBSD system. Like for Audigy or SB Live cards.

F!XMBR

I was under the impression that the OSS drivers were mutually-exclusive with the BSD ones - so NetBSD and OpenBSD require custom kernels to be built with NO sound drivers included so that the OSS ones can be used.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

In FreeBSD I load the drivers at boot. Default is no driver in the kernel config.

F!XMBR

Great news. I've been using OSS for my Audigy for months now..they work like a charm.:)