Topic: What kind of DB's do you run?

I know some of you are Sys Admins & would obviously use databases in your role.

Im curious to know what you guys run, whether it be oracle, mysql, postrgesql...

In my job we are predominantly a microsoft shop, so that leaves us with MS SQL neutral

[ quote=lucas ]who wants to use sco unix?

if i were faced with either sco unix or linux, i'd shoot myself in the face[ /quote ]

Re: What kind of DB's do you run?

MySQL 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0.

Would prefer to use Postgresql, but we started with MySQL 3.x and just continue on with it.

mysql 5.0

postgre might be nice, but mysql 5.0 is pretty great

(i dislike 4.0 for their lack of charset support, and i dislike 4.1 for their poor handling of multiple group statements and poor handling of join using statements)

MySQL - the boss was happy for me to run with it and he had a little experience with it.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

MySQL 4.x/5.x and M$ SQL

Keep Smiling

PostgreSQL. I despise MySQL.

Any reason why Maxlor?

[ quote=lucas ]who wants to use sco unix?

if i were faced with either sco unix or linux, i'd shoot myself in the face[ /quote ]

yeah, I'd be interested to hear some peoples' perspectives on the pros and cons of MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, etc. I have minimal experience with databases and have only used MySQL very much. I'm thinking about switching to PostgreSQL, though.

PostgreSQL is actually far superior, supporting many features that MySQL is only starting to do - such as "views" and stored procedures to name a couple.

I think the irony is that MySQL was picked up by the PHP crowd as apposed to PgSQL; so MySQL is more commonly used - but PgSQL is still far superior!

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

At work, using MSSQL. I hate their Enterprise manager, ugh!  I'd prefer postgresql.

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

WIntellect wrote:

PostgreSQL is actually far superior, supporting many features that MySQL is only starting to do - such as "views" and stored procedures to name a couple.

I think the irony is that MySQL was picked up by the PHP crowd as apposed to PgSQL; so MySQL is more commonly used - but PgSQL is still far superior!

but it's only superior if you'd actually use those features. iirc, the myisam engine is pretty fucking fast...

MaJ wrote:

Any reason why Maxlor?

Because of the many many things that MySQL is lacking: relational integrity, flexible constraints, transactions... these are all very basic features that *any* relational DB should have. And only now, with version 5, MySQL is somewhat catching up.

lucas wrote:

but it's only superior if you'd actually use those features. iirc, the myisam engine is pretty fucking fast...

right.

well, i use a database to store loads of relational data. i don't need transactions. granted, some relational integrity might be nice (i don't use the innodb engine), but my app can handle it.

It depends on the requirements.  Sometimes you need the heaviest database engine, sometimes you need the fastest, sometimes you need the easiest to use.

If you just need to store and retrieve data, and don't mind writing the integrity logic into your app, then MySQL is very fast and useful.  Most basic web apps fall into this category.

If you need to guarantee data integrity, guarantee an always consistent data set, keep relationships intact no matter what, require atomic operations with rollback in the event of error, and all the other high-level relational operations that Oracle, DB2, MS SQL, and Sybase are famous for, then PostgreSQL is the only OSS database worth looking at (with Firebird a close second).  MySQL 5.0 has most of these features, but they are very new, not well tested, and there's still a bunch of data integrity issues to work around.  5.1+ should be interesting.  PostgreSQL 8+ has really caught up to MySQL 5+ in terms of speed.  But the big thing is data integrity and transactional support.

We're stuck with MySQL because that's what the DB admin started with (MySQL 3.23) when building our data warehouse, and we've just upgraded the engine as we go along, adding in all the nifty features as they become available.  Would we be better served by PostgreSQL?  Damn straight!  Will we ever move to it?  Probably not, inertia is a hard thing to overcome, especially since all our web apps are done in PHP.

Does SQlite count? big_smile

Actually I mostly use PostgreSQL, but really based on principal. For what I do I can't tell any difference between it and MySQL.

NetBSD, FreeBSD, Mac OS X (with pkgsrc)
"Capistrano? Sounds like coffee. Mmm... coffee..."

lucas wrote:
Maxlor wrote:

i guess. smile

Posts [ 18 ]

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Currently installed 2 official extensions. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.