Topic: VMware Tools Now Open Source

VMware has now released the source code to their Tools:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.a … ware-tools

This could be a big deal for BSD, since the qemu-based products really need something like tools to speed up screen writes, the mouse, Ethernet and so forth.  Would anyone care to offer a guess on how compatible these might be?  They certainly come from an entirely different code base, but there may be snippets that can easily be adapted.

Re: VMware Tools Now Open Source

Slightly related, Orlando (the one who maintain(s?ed?) the vmware port has accepted rsync's bounty for vmware WS 6.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

I did see that.  Good for him!  I will have to check to see if he is getting better support from VMware.

Does Xen even have support for such a thing as the vmware tools? Oh and speaking of virtualization, has anyone tried virtualbox?

I've used VirtualBox on Linux.  Like Qemu, unless you used the default NAT networking, setting up a network is a bit harder than it is with VMWare.  You have to use bridging, and Linux's bridging is a bit different (though not complex) from FreeBSD's. 

Speedwise, it struck me as very comparable to VMware.  No benchmarks, simply general impression. I only tried it with a Windows 2K guest, ArchLinux host.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Maxlor wrote:

Does Xen even have support for such a thing as the vmware tools?

Xen doesn't need anything like VMWare tools, as it doesn't emulate a computer like VMWare does.

In a full-virtualized setup (on CPUs with hardware virt features) Xen just partitions up the physical hardware and acts as a traffic cop between the real OSes and the hardware.

In a paravirtual setup, the guest OS has to be configured with support for Xen "drivers".  In essence, Xen-enabled guests already come with "VMWare Tools" installed.  smile  This is why you can't run Windows without using a CPU with hardware virtualisation support, as there is no way for the Xen folks to modify the Windows source with the needed changes/drivers.

Last edited by phoenix (2007-09-13 03:31:26)