Topic: bringing an interface up / down

When you bring an interface down, and then you bring it back up (I unplugged it from one router and plugged it into another one), when you bring up the interface again, will it have the new router settings (such as the ip set up or do I have to restart the computer to have the settings take effect.

I tried ifconfig txp0 down and then ifconfig txp0 up but it seemed to have the same settings as before.

Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying degrees of guilt.

Re: bringing an interface up / down

just bringing a network interface up and down won't change anything like its IP address. you have to change that either with ifconfig (e.g., ifconfig txp0 inet 192.168.1.2) or in the interface's configuration file. I'm not sure what OS you're using, but on OpenBSD you would put the information in /etc/hostname.txp0 and to have it take effect you'd do sh /etc/netstart txp0.

what new settings or information are you hoping to get when you plug it into the new router? are you getting an IP address via DHCP? if so I think you'd have to kill the dhclient process that's active and then run dhclient txp0. I'm not sure if there's a more graceful way of doing this.

I'm using FreeBSD 6.0.  I am trying to network my laptop and my machine together. I forgot I didn't install samba before I hooked the router in. so I'm currently at the moment trying to get samba to work.   I have a machine at school that's currently tied up to there network and I have a router that I can currently using froma  teacher to see if I can get them networked and transfer files back and forth.  I was hoping that the information from the router would go away after unplugging the NIC cable from the router and plugging it back into the school network. I had to get online to get samba.

****!!!!
  killing the process dhclient and starting it back seems to work. It's easier than having to restart the computer all the time. now the real fun begins, I have samba set up but it won't let my laptop connect.   any more information about the interfaces up or down would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning this and I don't have my book... no one else in my class uses FreeBSD and my teacher doesn't know it.  so I'm all alone sad    I love it so far, with the exception of X though.

Last edited by madlarkin (2007-10-10 21:58:04)

I can't think of much else for bringing network interfaces up and down. if you're doing it via DHCP, with dhclient, it's pretty straightforward. I think the interface has to be up for dhclient to work.

can you ping one of the computers from the other?

hop into #bsd at chat.taucher.net if you can get on IRC. I'm there right now and I'd be glad to help.

ok. I'll try to get on it here shortly. Class is pretty much over with and every time I've tried to connect to an IRC chat room from the room, I can't ever connect.   I can ping the computers now. I can even telnet, but it won't allow me to access the resources on the freebsd machine from the laptop (windows xp pro)...   I'll try to hop in as fast as I can, but I have a couple other things to finish before I can go home.

I assume you've got Samba running on the FreeBSD machine? what's the configuration file look like? I remember when I set it up it was very straightforward.

I followed a online doc to get it up and running in the basic form (atleast I think) and it only has one account.  this is the site I used to install and configure it. I'm not sure if I missed something but I have another computer I can experiment with and I'll try that again and see if it works.

shit, I thought I copied it over, sorry about that.  http://www.us-webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/Samba/

Last edited by madlarkin (2007-10-11 21:29:02)

what site...?