Topic: cron

I have a question,

Is there anyway to make it so that when my cvsup cron gets done it can send a email to me saying that it was completed, or do I have to set up another cron for that or won't it work at all?

At the moment, I have cvsup running at 3am but I don't know if it truly gets done or not (I log out when I'm not using it) and I'd like to have an mail sent so that I know it got done. Would I have to append a "| mail -s "cvsup" root" at the end of it?

Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying degrees of guilt.

Re: cron

If your cron job produces any output/errors it will be automatically mailed to you and that will help you know the status. Else you'll have to add a mailer script. Also, check where cron logs in /etc/syslog.conf .

Keep Smiling

As arun says, cron output will be mailed to the crontab owner. If this is root, and you don't check root's mail account, you could do one of two things:

Either, create the file /root/.forward which a single line containing your user name in it. This will then forward root's email to that user.

Or, set the MAILTO variable at the beginning of the crontab, e.g.: MAILTO=john@doe.com .

ok. thank you.

Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying degrees of guilt.