Re: Openbox and Fluxbox

hmm, I can't start bmpanel?

[~]# bmpanel
starting bmpanel with theme: native
failed to load font: DejaVuSans/14
fatal loading error
failed to load theme: native
Exit 1

Note that I have DejaVu installed and in fontpath ... I also tried different fonts which didn't help.

Did you do anything special to get it running vermaden?

Also, here is a port for easier installation (For Red Hat you can still use x11/bmpanel/files/Makefile, which replaces the crappy SConstruct)
http://www.rwxrwxrwx.net/bmpanel.tar.gz

--

I also tried pekwm today, it's very nice, I think I will use it since my current WM (sawfish) has a few (minor) issues ...

Last edited by Carpetsmoker (2008-04-09 15:42:30)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

That font thing--it's a bug, I think.  Errm, hold on... (It's on ArchLinux forums where he explains it....hold on...
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43750

Post 103, I think it's on page 5.

I tried the make file but it couldn't find a reference to main.  Again, at this point, as it only offers 100 percent width, which I don't like, I'm not going crazy over it.

A quote from another forum about the font, though this was on ArchLinux.

For the font error problem I think it's because most fonts are stored in /usr/share/fonts/somesubfolder. I could only get it to work by copying the fonts into the /usr/share/fonts folder. For whatever reason they weren't found in the subdirectory. You also have to use the name of the name of the .ttf. So it's not "Deja Vu Sans" but "DejaVuSans" because the file is named DejaVuSans.ttf. Good luck getting it going, let me know if you resolve the libev problems and how you ended up doing so.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

Personally I use pypanel - because I like python. I looked at bmpanel, if looks alot like fbpanel, for some reason, to me.

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Bit OT, blame vermaden, he first mentioned bmpanel.

hmm, DejaVu fonts are in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/dejavu, this folder is in FontPath and the DejaVu fonts work in other applications such as Gimp, Opera, and Scribus.
But not in bmpanel

Other TTF fonts do seem to work now, from the TTF and bitstream-vera folders.

The weird part:

[/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF]R /tmp/ptest/bin/bmpanel
fatal loading error
Exit 1

[/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF]R ln -s ../dejavu/DejaVuS*.ttf .

selection already have it's owner, disabling tray
^Csigint signal received
cleanup
common: memory leaks = 0

[/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF]R rm DejaVuS*.ttf

fatal loading error
Exit 1
[/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF]R

ugh?
*confused*

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

sad I didn't know Openbox was no longer being developed. that is sad.

No, no NOOOO.  Pypanel is no longer being developed.

Openbox is, AFAIK, alive and well.

Carpetsmoker wrote:

Did you do anything special to get it running vermaden?

(...)

Bit OT, blame vermaden, he first mentioned bmpanel.

I did not even tried to build it, I am happy with fbpanel (or even only with fluxbox panel) smile

"religions, worst damnation of mankind"
[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

Heh, he gets all of us to try to use it then doesn't.   I only got it running on Arch.

I am getting to prefer pypanel for the times I use openbox.  Probably time to make a little window manager script to keep me from having to constantly edit .xinitrc.

scottro wrote:

No, no NOOOO.  Pypanel is no longer being developed.

I didn't know that. I have to look into that....

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Does that mean you'll create the patch for me?  (Do I remind you of one of the dogs while you're eating something near them?) 

Here's the link.
http://pypanel.sourceforge.net/

Note the last line.

Version 2.4 will be the last release of PyPanel. I've added a section for patches and will continue to post them as they are submitted.

("the patch" refers to a patch to enable one to choose alignment by name left right center and width by percentage.)

Last edited by scottro (2008-04-10 18:15:49)

Well maybe I could....

I got the idea to work on a Parametric Equalizer from DrJ, so I'm looking into that. So a little tweak to pypanel couldn't hurt.

I've learn to make sure the dogs are outside when eating....

-Nietzsche

Always a good idea.  They're big enough to enforce their views.  smile

That would be great if you did, and I suspect that I'm not the only one who would be grateful.  (I know of at least one fellow on Fedora forums who also wishes he could hack python well enough to do it.)

yay!

I see Rod hasn't yet put up a mention of it, so thought I'd tell you all that he made the
pypanel patch.  Heck, he made the whole pypanel.  smile

http://roddierod.homeunix.net/code_and_ … index.html

It works perfectly for me in both BSD and Linux.

scottro -- did you notice you were mentioned on the page, and that your last name is spelled wrong?

I know, I have to get out more...

I knew I was mentioned, I didn't notice my name was misspelled.  smile  Well, I'm sure Rod will fix it when he sees this. 
Rod, it's Robbins, like the ice cream. (No relation, unfortunately.)

Sorry, it's fixed now...

-Nietzsche

Thank you.  Thank you again for the patch, as well.  A fellow on Fedora forums is also quite happy about it.

thats cool. I sent the patch in but no reply  as of yet.

-Nietzsche

For anybody interested:
Here is my current fvwm configuration file: http://pastebin.com/m3c57b05c
It is not well documented. RTFM, unlike some other window managers fvwm man page is actually (extremly) usefull.
It fully works only for fvwm-dev from ports.

I dont like: borders, icons, titlebars, menus, buttons so anything like that is disabled. (but can be enabled in any time)

Well I still haven't heard anything from the pypanel creator about my patch and it has not been added to the site sad

Anyway, if anyone is interested I posted my Openbox/Fluxbox wallpaper setting utility to my site.

-Nietzsche