Re: long lost #bsders

how about you stay idling on irc 24/7/365 and have an emergency contact number of your landlord or neighbor where we can contact them to see if you just lost power/connectivity or LIFE yikes

might as well just drop my mobile number here - perhaps I'll get LOADS of free offers from the net...

actually, it's tempting to see what would happen if I did...

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

It's simple really. You add an addendum to your will with all forums / IRC's / User Groups etc you frequent along with username and passwords. Then as a condition of releasing your estate the executor of your will haas to notify each of these groups.

"My spelling is Wobbly.  It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters  get in the wrong places." A. A. Milne (1882-1958)

that's a neat idea, wintellect.  I would definitely forget to create alive.txt and everyone would think I was dead though.  you could have another cron job to e-mail you a week or so before that one occurs to remind you create the file.  or something more interactive like that.

that's also a neat idea, donkey, but I don't I'd want to give out my passwords to stuff, even after I was dead...

asemisldkfj wrote:

that's a neat idea, wintellect.  I would definitely forget to create alive.txt and everyone would think I was dead though.  you could have another cron job to e-mail you a week or so before that one occurs to remind you create the file.  or something more interactive like that.

that's also a neat idea, donkey, but I don't I'd want to give out my passwords to stuff, even after I was dead...

The problem with Wintellects solutiopn is you have to have remonders to reminders. You get to a farcical situation where you have mails to remind you of mails.

One of teh guys here tells a story of a meting he was in with a now departed project manager whoorganises to phone the customer an dthen says "If I can't phone I will phone to let you knwo that I can't phone and orgainsie another tiem to phone you"

Hey when your pushing up daisys does it matter if people knwo your passwords ?

"My spelling is Wobbly.  It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters  get in the wrong places." A. A. Milne (1882-1958)

donkey wrote:

One of teh guys here tells a story of a meting he was in with a now departed project manager whoorganises to phone the customer an dthen says "If I can't phone I will phone to let you knwo that I can't phone and orgainsie another tiem to phone you"

lol I remember that

donkey wrote:

Hey when your pushing up daisys does it matter if people knwo your passwords ?

It could, I mean - If I went, the DNS for BSDnexus would not be updated - so any issue with the IP of these forums would not be fixed, and the forums could vanish from their name "forums.bsdnexus.com" - the same with my site (though I think the only thing people would miss from there are the wallpapers).

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

anyone remember BSDKaffee? I just read a BSDForums thread that popped up in some Google results and he had posted in it.

Which IRC server are you guys using?

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

chat.taucher.net, #bsd

I haven't been in for a while neutral.

Right, I tried that one (found it in another thread), but didn't see any rooms...
I'll try again later, I'm not very familiar with IRC and I'm probably doing something wrong...

19:00 -!- Carpetsmoker [carpetsmok@rwxrwxrwx.net] has joined #bsd
19:00 -!- Carpetsmoker [carpetsmok@rwxrwxrwx.net] has left #bsd
19:00 < asemisldkfj> sad

Yeah, I figured out how to join, but it was 1AM I wanted to go to bed...

asemisldkfj wrote:

anyone remember BSDKaffee? I just read a BSDForums thread that popped up in some Google results and he had posted in it.

I remember 'em. Yeah, haven't seen him on any forum, now that I think about it. I've actually seen mre post from BSDomi...

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

I'll ask DarkPrince about BSDKaffee, they used to always be talking in #bsd when I'd visit at night.

Look who showed up today....

Long Haul Trucker

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

whoa!

Yep, I'm still alive (two months later)! smile  I am only home two days a week and I have no internet connection while I'm on the road.  Actually, I didn't even have a laptop until recently.  I am considering getting a wireless broadband card, but I am doubtful that I would be able to use it with FreeBSD.  I still try to answer questions on bsdforums when I'm home, but unfortunately sometimes posters have to wait a week between replies.  I really don't have time for IRC anymore...I have popped into #bsd a few times, but it has been a while.  Other than forums, I still maintain a few FreeBSD ports and am working on a few more.  Thanks for thinking about me! big_smile

hi BSDKaffee! time for IRC is hard to make, unless your job involves sitting at a computer.

glad you're alive!

Just had surgery today and I know everyone will be glad to know I'm still alive big_smile

In all serious though, good thread, as a fellow on another forum that I knew died a couple months ago (R.I.P.)

smash the state in '08!

Glad to hear you're alright.  smile

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

thanks

smash the state in '08!

asemisldkfj wrote:

hi BSDKaffee! time for IRC is hard to make, unless your job involves sitting at a computer.

glad you're alive!

Haha the only reason im in there sometimes.

[ quote=lucas ]who wants to use sco unix?

if i were faced with either sco unix or linux, i'd shoot myself in the face[ /quote ]

Still not dead!

Although one could argue that being an university student isn't much better off.