Topic: courier-imap and fam configuration

I have a server with courier-imap up and running. I get the following error messages when my mail client checks for mail:

Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (user)
Error input/Output error
Check for proper operation and configuration
of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd)

fam is installed and I run it daemon mode by hand, how is it suppose to be configured to run? I run it by hand but it dies after a while and the error messages com back.

I tried using supervise to run it but it would stop working after a while even though it was still running (or so says svstat). rpcstat showed it still running as well.

Thanks
Krreagan

Re: courier-imap and fam configuration

You should run fam from inetd. Follow the following steps:

1) Verify that you have the following line in /etc/rpc, and add it if it's missing:

sgi_fam        391002

2) Add the following line to /etc/inetd.conf:

# FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
sgi_fam/1-2     stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam  fam

3) If you've not been using inetd before, add the following to your /etc/rc.conf:

inetd_enable="YES"

Then start inetd with /etc/rc.d/inetd start. If you have already been using inetd, send a signal to inetd so it picks up the configuration change: killall -HUP inetd

4) You probably already have this, but I'll list it here just for completeness sake: You need to run rpcbind also. Add the following to your /etc/rc.conf:

rpcbind_enable="YES"

then start rpcbind with /etc/rc.d/rpcbind start.

That's it! Hope this works for you. Of course, as an alternative, you can also just remove fam support from courier-imap smile