Topic: daemonforums.org

Propably most of you already noticed that bsdforums.org are abandoned
because of spam, and daemonforums.org is currently its superior.

For details read this:
http://bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59607

So please welcome daemonforums.org wink

Last edited by vermaden (2008-05-05 11:29:53)

"religions, worst damnation of mankind"
[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

Re: daemonforums.org

It is very fitting that the time at which bsdforums.org ends is chosen by the community (well, ok, so it's the mods really... but in this case, I suppose they're representatives of the community), and not by the admin. Best of luck with daemonforums.org!

Out of curiosity: who's in the team that runs daemonforums.org?

Generally everything was done by Carpetsmoker and kienjakenobi both from bsdforums.

Me along with corey_james are moderators there, I also care about all graphics stuff, for example I created daemonforums logo.

Also j65nko and phoenix were invited to join new forum team as admins/moderators.

"religions, worst damnation of mankind"
[color=Blue]Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for

Maxlor wrote:

It is very fitting that the time at which bsdforums.org ends is chosen by the community (well, ok, so it's the mods really... but in this case, I suppose they're representatives of the community), and not by the admin.

It is interesting that you phrase your comment in this particular manner.  As in most volunteer organizations, decisions are frequently made by those who invest themselves into the process.

As for BSDForums in particular, the Moderators had been covering for the Admin for as long as they could, & the volume & increasing sophistication spammers have acquired necessitated that BSDForums respond in kind.  Given that the Moderators didn't have the authority to change the status quo, & the Admin was unable to change anything, the time had come to move on.

My opinion is that switch to daemonforums.org could happen before (actually it was bsdnexus.com). But as with any good and bad things it is better to take good one even in last moment - faster it happens better.
Hope that such cases like this one will never happen again with bsd forums in general.

richardpl wrote:

My opinion is that switch to daemonforums.org could happen before (actually it was bsdnexus.com).

My suspicion is that there has to be a threshold number of people for any forum to work & equally a threshold number of the right people.  Recall that there was an outcry in March of people making ultimatums that there were just too much spam & that they were leaving.  Some did.

Independently, there was a final push by the Moderators to control the level of spam seen by the masses.  This tended to nullify any exodus, & many returned.

Ultimately, the Moderators saw that contact with Admin by myself & Carpetsmoker didn't result in any change, so the decision was made to abandon BSDForums altogether.  The creation of DaemonForums was largely an independent set of decisions, but it did provide a focal point for the impending exodus.

Yes, leaving BSDForums could have happened earlier, but the resolve of that decision was not held by sufficient numbers or by the right people.

As stated elsewhere, it will be interesting to watch what happens with BSDForums.  As the Admin there is out of the picture, how often does he actually visit the site, & at what point will he simply turn off the servers?  Given that the spammers tend to congregate on specific subforae, unless one looks closely at the date of posts, it is not entirely obvious that there is virtually no new traffic.  Note there are still new legitimate posts made by first-timers & others unaware of the recent drama.  At this point, I tend to think that BSDForums will be available online for several more months.  The Admin there will simply be paying hosting charges for no reason at all.

That's weird how someone can leave such a great forum die slowly. Even if the interest of the admin has gone away there is still a lot of people impacted by spam, ...

I never went back to bsdforums anymore since we created bsdnexus' forums.
It wasn't because of spam though. I gave my time to this forum only smile
I've subscribed to daemonforums though!

Best wishes to daemonforums!

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

ocicat wrote:
Maxlor wrote:

It is very fitting that the time at which bsdforums.org ends is chosen by the community (well, ok, so it's the mods really... but in this case, I suppose they're representatives of the community), and not by the admin.

It is interesting that you phrase your comment in this particular manner.  As in most volunteer organizations, decisions are frequently made by those who invest themselves into the process.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right of course. Let me elaborate on my point of view: I always felt, and still do, that moderators are like ministers, in both the modern and old latin sense of the word: they are in a position of power and guide the forum (the modern sense), but they're also servants to all the users (the old latin sense

I guess I'll have to have a look at daemonforums.org - but this place will always be my home wink

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

You can take a vacation .... For about 300 days a year big_smile

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

interesting; I just compared the two's number of total members, this place has a little over 500 and that place has a little under 500...since somebody said daemonforums.org is the "superior."

>this place has a little over 500 and that place has a little under 500...since somebody said daemonforums.org is the "superior."

It's not about the mere mass, furthermore you will find most member posting here too.

F!XMBR

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. --Pericles

Vermaden said it is superior to BSDForums, not to BSDNexus.

Also, DaemonForums had only been in existence for a little over two weeks, vs. 3 years for BSDNexus.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker (2008-05-18 12:17:02)

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.