Topic: Adding multiple lines into file

hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to write multiple lines at the end of a file.. reason why I need this is I'm hosting couple of website on my machine and it gets boring to write every time same lines

<VirtualHost yourhostname:80>
    ServerAdmin you@your-domain.com
    ServerName your_ip_address
    DocumentRoot /www
    ErrorLog logs/error_log
    CustomLog logs/access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

Is there a way to write a shell script that will insert these lines at the end of the file... any hints indications how to do it ? Thank you in advance ..

Re: Adding multiple lines into file

Sure, it's very easy:

echo "<VirtualHost yourhostname:80>
    ServerAdmin you@your-domain.com
    ServerName your_ip_address
    DocumentRoot /www
    ErrorLog logs/error_log
    CustomLog logs/access_log combined
</VirtualHost>" >> httpd.conf

The >> operator is the append operator; it works the same as > except that it appends instead of overwrites.

Hi
I've got some more problems with editing a big configuration file .. its about 2k lines long.. anyway what I need is to place certain text to certain line number.. lets say I need to place "Something" on line 980 .. "something" else on line number 1500 and so on without tempering the rest of the configuration file ... I found somewhere this

head -981 conf.temp > conf.conf; echo "Email myemail@email.com" >> conf.conf; sed '4,$!d' <conf.temp >> conf.conf

it seems to work on one occasion but when I want to make another change in the configuration whole thing comes messed up, things appear double and so on ... any help ?

Thank you in advance ...

For this task, I'd recommend using sed. First, always create a temp file, and use that as input file; never use the same file as input and output file simultaneously. I'll assume now that conf.temp is a copy of conf.conf. To insert a line after line 980, you can use:

sed -e '980a\
Email foo@example.org' conf.temp > conf.conf

Of course, if you run this a second time, then the Email line already exists, so changing it instead of adding a second Email line might be required:

sed -e '981s/^Email .*/Email bar@example.org/' conf.temp > conf.conf

It works thank you .. but I have to alter or enter several lines ... after I input 1 line it works perfectly .. but after I input the next one the previous line disappears  ..

The first variant shown above will not remove anything, but keep adding lines.

Thank you for your posting it works ... how about if I want to use variables inside this .. ex :

serverip=$(awk 'NR==3 {print substr($0,1,14)}' /etc/hosts)
sed -e '1005a\
Server Ip:${serverip}' conf.temp > conf.conf

I can't pass the value of server ip inside sed.. is it possible at all to do this some other way if I'm mistaken.. thanx

It works if you use " " to quote your strings instead of ' '.