Topic: Nameservers..

Hello all,

I stumbled upon this tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_bind...ing_nameserver (sorry not trying to spam) . I was reading it and really explains how to things step by step, but still I have a problem with configuring nameservers so I came here to ask for help.
I'm trying to figure out the way to make nameservers for domain name "komentari.info" on vps I rented for testing. In order to update nameservers of this domain I should create ones on this vps machine rite.. like ns1 and ns2 or whatever.. the thing is that I add these ns1.komentari.info inside /etc/named.conf inside file it points to /var/zone/named/ns1.komentari.info.zone. I also add httpd.conf inside <Virtualhost> .. and yet I don't manage to change domains nameservers .. I've bought this domain at key-systems.de (sorry if this is spam) and it doesn't allow me to update nameservers because they don't quite exist .. I've been reading a lot to get an idea how DNS works and I'm pretty much there just I'm missing something. Can you guys help me, which file/s should I edit .. or if I'm doing something wrong to start with can someone put me in the right direction? I've been googling but this tutorial is the best I could find for this type of setup ..
Thank you in advance

Re: Nameservers..

c0mrade wrote:

I've bought this domain at key-systems.de (sorry if this is spam) and it doesn't allow me to update nameservers because they don't quite exist ..

I don't understand what you mean by saying that they don't quite exist. If key-systems.de allows you to specify the nameservers to use for your domain, and your nameserver can be reached from the internet, then I don't know what you mean.

I'm a novice, so my comments might not be the most useful.

Re: Nameservers..

A nameserver daemon will listen on a port waiting for DNS requests.

So, if you want to run your own nameserver then you need to setup a DNS server (like the infamous BIND or another) and have it listening on your external IP address. Then you can update the details for your domain name and have the entrys for the domain DNS point to the IP associated with your external IP. That way, when someone does a DNS lookup of your domain it will point to your IP where the DNS server is running/

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus