Topic: BSD install jinx

this has got to be an install jinx, I have the install .iso for netbsd 4.0, burnt to cd tried a fresh install on a new hard disk, got as far as an error as sysinstall was extracting the base**.tgz, put it aside, tried the boxed OpenBSD 4.2 set, it failed to recognize the cd set after all the partitioning and install preps that the ramdisk does. is it my cd-rom drive or what

Re: BSD install jinx

It could easily be the medium.  Some cd that is recognized and works on a different machine may cause difficulty with your setup.  Could also be bad ram, bad (or loose) connector, failing hardware, or a bug in the installer.  Have you tried a net install cd yet?

the hardware am using is not dated yet, am going to try it on an P3, 450mhz, PC I have recently acquired. I can't do a net install (no network setup yet). I must be the only one on earth doing a standalone install.

No, there is another.

joachim wrote:

... is it my cd-rom drive or what

With multiple CDs failing, I'd start to assume it was the CD-ROM too. Trying the CDs in a box that you know has a fully working CD-ROM should help to confirm this. Either that or swapping the CD-ROM for another one you might have laying around.

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus