Topic: Boot hang 10.4.11

My sister has a powerbook G4 17" with 10.4.11, When she boots it gets to the Welcome screen, the blue progress bar goes all the way up and it hangs there with the spinning wheel.

If she boots hold the shift key she can get to a Darwin prompt. We tried erasing things she thought might be the problem such as Limewire and something called Growl, but no luck?

I tried the old hold shift key to disable the loading of extensions on boot but that doesn't seem to work in OS X.

Any suggestions?

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche

Re: Boot hang 10.4.11

Run the diagnostics disk supplied with the Powerbook, or try the Mac OS X installer; if the tests run through and the installer starts respectively, you'll be able to tell whether it's a software or a hardware issue for a start.

if you start Disk Utility from the install disc you can run "Repair Permissions." try that?

Thanks guys...been sick the last few days. I'll be trying your suggestions tonight.

It looks like it going to be a hardware error as when she tried to re-install, it just froze after she chose the HD as the media to install to.

Some Tech guy told her if you can get to darwin you can delete the "nfs" file and that my get you to the GUI. I think she mis-heard what he said. She doesn't use and nfs shares so I'm not sure what he could be talking about.

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thinks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."
-Nietzsche