Topic: Keyboard fails on Sparc64 install of NetBSD 4.0.1

Greetings,

My first post on this site, so forgive any conventions I am not following (and please correct if I have done something wrong).

I am new to NetBSD. I am trying to install NetBSD 4.0.1 on a Sun Blade 150. It has a Type 6 USB keyboard.

After running "boot cdrom", it boots the NetBSD CD and eventually gets to this line:

If you are using a SUN type 4 keyboard, please enter "sun-type4".
Terminal Type (just hit ENTER for 'sun'):

The problem is, I can't type, I can't hit enter... nothing. The keyboard will not function. Even simple things such as pressing NumLock do not work (the LED does not light up as usual).

I have searched all day to find a solution to this. Is there something in the PROM I need to change, or is this a bug, or what? Help!

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Keyboard fails on Sparc64 install of NetBSD 4.0.1

I guess it's a bug in the kernel (which doesn't recognize your hardware).

Maybe try to ask the guys responsible for the sun port.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Thanks, I found the mailing list. I'll give them a ring.

If anyone else reads this and has additional feedback, I'm willing to try whatever. The system isn't functional, and I don't care if I hose it up; I'd just like to fire up NetBSD on it.

/Scott

The solution was basically to install one of the NetBSD-5 release candidates. For whatever reason, even when I switched the IO to ttya and used a serial connection, NetBSD4.0.1 wouldn't install on the Blade 150.

The link to the mailing list:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc … tml#000854

I hope this incident helps someone else with similar problems. smile

/Scott