Topic: NEC MobilePro 780 for Sale

I thought I'd give you guys first dibs on this.  I recently got an IBM Workpad Z50, which will be serving my portable needs instead of the MobilePro.  I'm keeping my CF card to use with the Z50, so you'll have to get your own for the MP.  The only accessories included are the stylus and a third-party power adapter that came with it when I got it on eBay.

I have some pictures here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v346/asemisldkfj/phreak/

The only thing really wrong with it is a crack in the cashing right over where the power adapter goes in.  It's shown in one of the photos, has been like that since I got it almost a year ago, and has never affected how it works.

I'd like 80 USD ideally, but will accept the best offer I get for it, probably.

Re: NEC MobilePro 780 for Sale

ooOOOoooo.....

I may just take it off yer hands! Can you give me a bit of info, like:

how much disk space does it have?
Can NetBSD run happily on it?
Does it have battery supply?
Does X work on it?

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

It doesn't have any disk space unless you buy a Compact Flash card smile.

NetBSD runs quite happily on it.  3.0 installed without a hitch and I never had any problems with it.

It has a battery that lasts about 2 hours while using wifi and chatting on irssi and using links.

X works, it's just kinda slow.  It's probably on the border between usable and unusable.  I never ran it because there weren't any graphical apps I found that would run very well.  Links -g took six minutes to start up.  I've heard of people using Dillo, but I never tried compiling it.  An idea I had but never tried was using regular links in X but associating images with an image viewer like xzgv so I could open them if I wanted to.  I did this on my PowerBook when I had NetBSD on it and it worked great.

I stuck to the command line most of the time I had it and was quite happy with irssi and links smile.

How much to ship it to the UK?

"UBER" means I don't drink the coffee... I chew the beans instead
             -- Copyright BSDnexus

I used X with ratpoison and dillo. Loading graphics is a bit slow but it's bearable. I ditched X a while ago, it was fun using the stylus and browsing though! I can confirm that it's about 2 hours from streight battery with irssi, and editing stuff in vi the entire time while on wireless via the pcmcia card continuous.

hi flamaest. unfortunately I don't own the z50 anymore, so I can't test it for you. good luck. maybe you could try NetBSD-current? or post this to the mailing lists.