Topic: need help on screen laptop -> acer aspire 1350

Hello everyone and first of all I'd like to apologize for the future mistakes (my english is a shame).

Well, I've installed the 5.0 release of NetBSD on a laptop, Acer aspire 1350. I created an xorg.conf.new

I wrote and change driver Via by vesa, modes 1024x768, and HorizSync / VertRefresh as I had for my slackware to work.

But 'X -config xorg.conf.new' gave me white/black/red/stranges vertical waves and the laptop has been frozen.

- I'm sure that my graphic card is a via  -> should work with vesa

- I'm sure of those -> wich does work with Slackware [(even Backtrak 3) no troobleshot with Slax, Mepis, Debian, Knoppix, Kanotix, BartPE (windows live like)]:

HorizSync    31.5 - 48.0
VertRefresh  59.0 - 75.0

- Log gives this:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(WW) VESA(0): remove MTRR 0 - 1000
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R7/lib/modules//libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R7/lib/modules//libvbe.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support

Some help would be welcome. Thanx

Re: need help on screen laptop -> acer aspire 1350

I've read somewhere that there is a virtual driver for vid

What kind of graphic card do you have ?

There must be some better driver than VESA.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

As a 'dmesg' gave 'via technologies vt8235 ATA controller' I've tryed 'Openchrome' and 'VGA' and different commands like 'xconfigure', 'X -configure', and differents modes but always the same. So 'i'm trying to install from pkgsrc compillation.

After I'll try a Xorg compilation,

and after I'll try a FreeBSD...

The vt8235 controller is the south bridge no graphic support in there.

I have googled the reference of your laptop a bit and found that some guys are trying to use openchrome as well (maybe it was you asking on another forum big_smile)
And it seems you will have to go with the pkgsrc compilation.

Let us know how things go and we'll try to help more if you still have the issue.

<wintellect> NetBSD users are smart enough to accept that there's no 3D support tongue

Ok, in favt, I tryed yesterday a begening of compilation but I'm not sure of the issue because :

1- not sure of the link of the pkgsrc
2- someone has the same problem with a lenovo and a Xorg compilation gives the same black screen freezing issue
3- too many errors this night during compilation...

---

So, uname -a -> netbsd-5-0-1-RELEASE

I'm not sure of the pkgsrc link. Could You confirm me please ?

[edit]

startx without xorg.conf gives black screen but not frozen, I can log in blind mode and shutdown -r now... And because of lack of 'lspci -vv' -> lspci unknow command... I'm compiling a pkgsrc

Contacting in 12 hours.

Last edited by nagrom (2010-01-08 02:24:37)

I'm not sure of the pkgsrc link. Could You confirm me please ?

I don't understand your question.

ps -aux | grep hald -> nothing
ps -aux | grep dbus -> nothing

looking for pciutils and lspci

---

Someone gave me the pkgsrc guide link -> reading this, I knew I had to do this before but i felt self confident with my debian experience.

---

I was not sure of my pkgsrc but I've checked it -> it is the good one, I mean for the 5.0.1

Hello

I've been adding lspci by 'pkg_add pciutils', I've done the same by searching in the packages tree for hal and dbus. But yesterday  was trying to compile pkgsrc :
I began before yesterday and the disk was full, so I tryed make install before make clean (debian -> make + make install + make clean) which made the same issue (fulling my disk [5.8 G]). I tryed to remove every useless things working around pkg_admin and pkg_delete but it was to long, so I  'rm -rf /usr/pkg/pkgsrc/*'. When the white fonts on the screen became green whith a strange message, I anderstood that I had broken something. I've made a disk update whith a bad issue for something, so I have reinstalled without games and X.

Adding/uncompressing pkgsrc.tar.gz in /usr to install 'dbus' (I've seen it in the listing and I would like to try by this way) and 'hal', and pciutils too.
I'm trying to install a modular X because I've seen the 'via' driver which is openchrome

---

Here are the results :

startx -> not found (of course)
/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/pciutils + make install clean + lspci -vv > lspci.vv (working better than binaries)
pkg_admin -K /varkg fetch-pkg-vulnerabilities (ok)

/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/hal + make install clean
/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/dbus + make install clean

pkg_info gives -> hal-info + hal + dbus + dbus-glib...

reboot
cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/modular-xorg-server + make install clean + a lot of stuf and It's working !!! Great !!! Well, there is some trooble with xdm and gdm but I'm working around it and configuration files.

---

Some 'problems' [white fonts became green with a 'bad something/freezing compilation] appears but I can work with twm (compiling gnome).

---

This lappy is really to old and I share it with my girl friend -> I'm gonna install a FreeBSD in a few days on it and give it to her.

I need a better one for me -> gonna check supported hardware and buy it this summer.

By the way, X installed is a modular + openchrome driver + 1024x768 without XF86Config and everything work well good!