Topic: dfports or pkgsrc?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about try DragonFly, but I'm hesitating to use dfports or pkgsrc. I don't really like freebsd's ports. I have my own reasons. wink But if anybody think dfport is worth a try, I'll give a shot. However, I decided to try pkgsrc. I have few experience with pkgsrc when I ran NetBSD.  The reason I stopped using NetBSD & pkgsrc is the update. I tried use pkg_chk(or is it pkg_comp?) & make update. It messed up my pkgsrc when make failed on several packages.  I would use pkg_add but some packages are outdated when security fixes do matter, such as gaim & firefox. hmm

Do anybody have suggestion how to update pkgsrc without too much trouble?

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

Re: dfports or pkgsrc?

Yes, it's not well documented yet--I was talking to one of the DF developers on IRC yesterday, and he mentioned that.

Dragonfly has to get its docs together.  I suspect it's all Andre's fault, but have no proof.   smile

The docs on the web are for the installation of the very first ISO's, before their installer did some of these things for you.    They also simply refer to the dports and FreeBSD ports, but apparently, pkgsrc is going to be the direction they take.

Mixing can, (from what I saw on the mailing lists) cause some problems.  (That is, mixing ports and pkgsrc) but I didn't research it much further. 

Hopefully, Andre will see this post and give better information.

<@andre> i would be so much more efficient if i wasn't so stupid

It seems most developer focus has now shifted to pkgsrc. I'm still using freebsd ports + dfports, simply because it works, but probably using pkgsrc and giving feedback to the mailing lists would be better for newer installations.

Mixing them is surely not a good idea, as the package databases are indepentent, and one system won't find the dependencies installed using the other.

The DragonFly wiki has a howto at http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.php/HOWTO/pkgsrc

andre wrote:

It seems most developer focus has now shifted to pkgsrc. I'm still using freebsd ports + dfports, simply because it works, but probably using pkgsrc and giving feedback to the mailing lists would be better for newer installations.

Mixing them is surely not a good idea, as the package databases are indepentent, and one system won't find the dependencies installed using the other.

The DragonFly wiki has a howto at http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.php/HOWTO/pkgsrc

Yes, I did some research on that one. In my first post, I decided to go with pkgsrc since most DF developers go with it. I just hope there's better way to update pkgsrc's installed packages (either pkg tools or make update). Most of GoBSD's pre-built packages are lagging behind and I guess I'll go with NetBSD's built pre-packages.

I saw few articles on building pkgsrc in chroot but the authors are terrible at writing howtos. I'm surprised pkgsrc website doesn't have a better way to explain it. sad

| There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home | There's no place like /home |

bmk1st wrote:

Yes, I did some research on that one. In my first post, I decided to go with pkgsrc since most DF developers go with it. I just hope there's better way to update pkgsrc's installed packages (either pkg tools or make update).

So far pkgsrc works just like in netbsd, with the same tools. I think the idea is to use it as a base for dfly's own pkg manager, but for now it's basically the same thing.

and I guess I'll go with NetBSD's built pre-packages.

In dfly? This will not work...